Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Norwegian Helmet- What Is This?

Article about: Let me start off by saying this helmet could possibly be a fake and I am willing to accept that as the price was relatively pretty cheap. But man, this helmet was just so odd that I HAD to b

Default Norwegian Helmet- What Is This?

Let me start off by saying this helmet could possibly be a fake and I am willing to accept that as the price was relatively pretty cheap. But man, this helmet was just so odd that I HAD to buy it.
    When this helmet was being sold, it was labeled simply as a Norwegian M31. However, right from the start, we can clearly tell that all is not as it seems. I.e. this helmet has a rim on it. Norwegian M31's (as far as I have seen) never had a rim. They were manufactured with a raw edge. Here it is next to my wartime produced M31
    So just by going off of this, I feel as if this shell may actually be just a Swedish M21. I do not own a Swedish M21, but basically it was the helmet that the Norwegian's based their M31's off of. Visually they looked very similar except the Swedish had a rim and a Triple Crown Crest on the front. These crests were tack welded on before the paint was applied. However, this helmet of mine doesn't have a crest. Was it pulled off or simply maybe never had one? However, the paint is where the crest should be, so if a crest was taken off, the helmet also must have been repainted.
    Another thing of note is the 'N' on the side.
    The 'N' was painted onto Swedish M26 helmets that Norwegian Police troops wore from 1943-1945 during their training in Sweden and later during their re-entry back to Norway. From what I have gathered, these troops were ONLY issued the Swedish M26. Here the two are next to each other.
    The only time I have seen an N on another helmet was in Anders Skotte's book where he lists an example of a German M35 helmet with an N on one side and a Lion on the other. However, he even states that the Police Troops only used the Swedish M26 so German example may have been used by the resistance.
    Another thing I must mentioned is that the Police Troops used a stencil when painting the N. So every Police Troop M26 has relatively uniform N's. This N's on this helmet seem to be slightly off in their shape.

Now let's move to the inside where there's more questions to be asked.
    The liner band on this helmet is not metal. It's some sort of stiff leathery material. I am not sure what it is to be sure. Both Swedish M21's and Norwegian M31's used metal liner bands.
    Also, the liner pads themselves do not match the Swedish M21 nor the Norwegian M31. The pads have an extra row of stitching at the top (Just like the Swedish M26).
    Here's the Swedish M26 liner pad.

I was also not able to find the size marking on the rim of the shell. This marking is something that should be seen on the Swedish M21.

Also, the rivets themselves are peculiar.
    Swedish helmets used a split pin system while Norwegian helmets used both a split pin system or the later hollow rivets like in my yellow helmet. However, the internal side of the Norwegian hollow rivets looks like this.
    As you can see, this design is very different than the one's presented in my new helmet.

Finally, the paint color itself is very much a bluish gray. Here's a close-up of the ridge.
    Man this helmet makes my head dizzy. Looking for input and ideas as it really seems to be a Frankenstein. Thanks for reading.

Here's the thread where I break down what a true Police Trooper M26 looks like. Norwegian M26 Polititropper Helmet

Just to recap:
    -The Helmet Shell seems to be a Swedish M21 but is missing the Triple Crown Crest plate and is also missing the shell size marking.
    -It bears the 'N' that Norwegian Police Troops painted on their Swedish M26 helmets
    -The paint color is a bluish grey
    -The liner band is unknown to me and is not metal
    -The liner pads seem to be from a Swedish M26
    -And the rivets securing the liner band are unfamiliar to me