Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world

Article about: I know a few of us discussed this some time ago and as Airborne helmets are one of my favorite sub catagories to collect and I have not seen another thread dedicated to the subject . So I th

Quote by Mark K View Post
    A very nice example indeed Jerry..

Regards Mark
    Thanks Mark.

The example shown is not my one, but has the same orange covering and the same type but an earlier model.

I already have his instructors jump wings, just got to pic up the lid next weekend.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/falcons/displays/history.cfm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I was pretty stoked to add this post war Mk II HSAT to my collection a couple of weeks back it is sporting a 1956 dated liner in a size of 7 1/8 the helmet imo has at least two different soldiers names ( Belk ) and service numbers ( 239??877 ) inked into the liner but one have been inked over and I can only partially make them out.
    It was said to be attributed to the 16th Parachute Brigade but I was having a bit of a time finding an example of the flash to compare it to as it is Red Black Red but with the help of a fellow collector whom found reference of this variant in Drop Zone Flashes of the British Airborne Forces I think we have it all sorted out now and it looks like he was likely a member of the 16th Parachute Brigade Heavy Drop Coy..

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world   Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world  

Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world   Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world  

Stunning addition to your airborne collection Mark ,I also like just how well the netting has been secured to shell
    I would be very pleased indeed to add this to my shelf thanks for sharing
    regards James

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Also used by the RAF Falcons jump team, originally the big 6, all were instructors who used orange helmets of this type.
    What superb Pictures Jerry not sure how i missed your notification so i apologise for the delay in replying ,first i have seen of these so thanks for sharing .. i notice there helmets look to have a grey or perhaps blue Vinyl chinstrap section ,I did notice on my 1972 instructor helmet specs of red or perhaps orange paint but just dismissed it but after seeing these pictures i will look closer ,Mine did have some sort of pop stud hole remnant on the left hand side vinyl section ,still not sure why one though if an oxygen mask was used i would of expected holes on both sides ,i look forward to seeing your new arrival
    Regards James

Just realised that i haven't added my Parachute Helmet instructor to this thread dated 1971 and i believe the first year of introduction of this type ,when i get time i will post up the red paint remnants on the shell Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world

I also picked up a Parachute regiment Beret private purchase ,this one is made by the Allarms Marketing and Manufacturing Organisation ,Mark you advice on the repair of snapped mounting pin of the para wings really did work out well and saved my swapping out for a replacement so thank you Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world

fantastic looking airborne helmets, beret

Mark & JamesC

the Mark II has an interesting unit mark, interesting to know it came from the 16th Parachute Brigade

?

Thank you James and BG for the kind words and I am glad the repair worked on the Para cap badge lug...A detail of interest that I noted with your one Parachute instructors helmet above in the centre of the image the slider buckle that was used for the chinstrap looks to be the same as was also found on the earliest green vinyl chinstraps of the Thetford light weight parachutist helmet you can see mine in the images below for comparison..

Regards Mark

?

Now on the subject of Para helms I have to say I am having one hell of a stellar day Gents I consider my self fortunate to be able to fill a huge gap in my British Para helmet collection with the addition of this light weight Para with the early green vinyl chinstrap as produced Thetford.. IMO this particular example is very likely one of the earliest produced variants due to the smooth surface on the helmet body and the bare metal un-coated liner retention nuts and bolts ..Also of note is the white brow pad which was only found on the earliest of examples...It will be interesting to see if there is a loose Thetford Moulded Products tag still present hidden away in the lining somewhere on its arrival in the post...

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world   Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world  

Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world   Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world  

Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world  

Quote by James C View Post
    I also picked up a Parachute regiment Beret private purchase ,this one is made by the Allarms Marketing and Manufacturing Organisation ,Mark you advice on the repair of snapped mounting pin of the para wings really did work out well and saved my swapping out for a replacement so thank you Parachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the worldParachute/Airborne Helmets and HSAT's from around the world
    James,

Never heard of the beret maker , it would be interesting to see the markings.

Is the beret badge AA and is it maker marked and is it factory blackened or field painted?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast