Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

PAVN use of the M56 steel helmet during Vietnam War Rare photos

Article about: here are some seldom seen wartime photos of the North Vietnamese using East German supplied M56 steel helmets, these photos are mostly from the Ho Chi Minh Trail where they did a lot of bomb

Default PAVN use of the M56 steel helmet during Vietnam War Rare photos

Here are some seldom seen wartime photos of the North Vietnamese using East German supplied M56 steel helmets, these photos are mostly from the Ho Chi Minh Trail where they did a lot of bombing, so they would have needed steel helmets.

Old Picz | Ho Chi Minh trail
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PAVN use of the M56 steel helmet during Vietnam War Rare photos   PAVN use of the M56 steel helmet during Vietnam War Rare photos  

PAVN use of the M56 steel helmet during Vietnam War Rare photos   PAVN use of the M56 steel helmet during Vietnam War Rare photos  

PAVN use of the M56 steel helmet during Vietnam War Rare photos   PAVN use of the M56 steel helmet during Vietnam War Rare photos  

Default DDR East Germany supplied helmets

>
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PAVN use of the M56 steel helmet during Vietnam War Rare photos   PAVN use of the M56 steel helmet during Vietnam War Rare photos  

Excellent and rarely seen pics. In two images there is also what looks an M1 style helmet which I supposed would likely be picked up on the battlefield unless it is a Russian Schlem distorted by the camera angle.

Any ideas on the flak jacket / body armour? It looks russian to me as well.

Just for good measure can anyone spot the Zil130? I knew there was a reason why the army made me spend so many hours in a darkened room looking at jig-saw like photos of wheels, tracks and fume extractors

Thanks for posting

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Ah! Now I think I see a Zil 157 and a UAZ 469. This is giving me nightmares

Anyone for trainspotting

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Great photos and thanks for sharing, i'll bet those lids weren't very popular with those little oriental guys, they are bloody heavy!...

Default DDR East German M56 stahlhelm

The East German M56 steel helmet is one of my favorite cold war era steel helmets, it's actually been used in lots of conflicts during it's history.

Vietnam war, African bush wars, Middle east, Syria, Egypt, Balkan wars, others?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PAVN use of the M56 steel helmet during Vietnam War Rare photos  
    Last edited by battle gear; 05-30-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Default Battle damaged NVA steel helmet

a heavily damaged Russian model Ssh40 used by the NVA captured in 1969 by a first Cavalry Trooper in the Tay Ninh Province.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PAVN use of the M56 steel helmet during Vietnam War Rare photos  

Default rare PAVN training film

here's a North Vietnamese Militia member wearing a East German steel helmet with grey color paint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0ggRGlfljs

US soldier with a captured PAVN steel helmet , judging by the liner it appears to be a Czech M53?