Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Persian/Iranian Model 62

Article about: This particular helmet is known in collectors circles as the Persian/Iranian Model 62 they are one of the toughest helmets I have ever tried to research as there really is no definitive info

?

Default Persian/Iranian Model 62

This particular helmet is known in collectors circles as the Persian/Iranian Model 62 they are one of the toughest helmets I have ever tried to research as there really is no definitive information as to there origins...
    There has been speculation that they are a cut down version of the West German Model 56 ( '' Zweiteilige Stahlhelm '' ) when doing a side by side comparison with the Iranian model 62 and the West German model 56 ,West German 1A1 there are some noticeable differences in construction most notably the angle of the front brim which is much steeper on the Iranian model 62..
    I have also heard many rumours over the years that possibly they could have been manufactured abroad by China, Germany and or possibly Israel and imported to Iran...
    This brings us to a recent discussion that I had with Russ Ames from Middle East Military in regards to these helmets he states that his sources in the Middle East state that they were manufactured in Iran after the rein of the Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi unfortunately this can not be confirmed with any documentation and or tangible production data so again ( pure speculation )...
    The helmet body on this particular example likely likely dates from the time period of the Iran Iraq war 1980-1988 it is non magnetic in nature so likely it was manufactured from a ballistic grade steel such as Hadfield manganese or chrome molybdenum steel the rim is as well non magnetic and I am of the opinion that it is stainless steel...
    There has been a well made moulded plastic insert bolted through the dome of the helmet body it's sole purpose is to act as a platform to attach a small black foam crash pad and four spring steel strips that attach to the liner band each with a rubber buffer attached to the sides of each strip these come in contact with the side of the helmet ..
    The chinstrap style (with the chin cup) is a version that did not surface till post 1988, and as there is no period evidence in the form of images and or other examples that support this style of liner was used before 1988 the liner was likely refitted post war at the same time for continued military service..

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Persian/Iranian Model 62   Persian/Iranian Model 62  

Persian/Iranian Model 62   Persian/Iranian Model 62  

Persian/Iranian Model 62  

Great research Mark
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Mark, thanks for posting I’ve been debating getting one of these for the last year just to have a closer look.

I also think this is a post revolution helmet, all picture I’ve seen so far that were before the revolution have been the West German model and although he Iran-Iraq war started not long after went on for nine years so it’s difficult to accurately place the images that can be found.

A few months ago I read The Iran Iraq War by Pierre Razoux (you can find it on eBay a lot cheaper than Amazon), it’s a good book and detailed Iran’s supply issues, including covert support from Israel, under the table deals with China, and most countries including the US cashing in on the two belligerents that had oil money to spend. There is no chapter on helmets unfortunately, but they were focused on spare parts and weapons, so I lean towards a local manufacture, despite some similarities it is a unique helmet and the liner has no comparison that I know of either. Quality wise it’s not German or Israeli (who also had stockpiles of Warsaw Pact kit) and it looks better than anything China was making at that time.

Steve.

Hi there,

a very nice presentation

Apparently the helmet has similarities to the West German M1A1 with J60 interior.
    But in detail you can see that it must be a clone. Definitely not a West German M1A1.

It cannot be a converted West German M1 / "Stahlhelm, zweiteilig" either. Too many differences.

Regards

?

Thank you for the comments gentleman and I am in full agreement there are known examples of the West German M1A1 being cut down and either a new rim band attached and or the old example that was removed has been repurposed but in no way or form does this particular example fall in to that category there are to many physical discrepancies..
    According to my sources Iran used multiple variations of this helmet, at first they simply imported West German 1A1 helmets then they began manufacturing their own helmets with the steeper visor angle, Once they started manufacturing their own helmets they started the refurbishment program to trim and update the older German helmets with Iranian liners and chinstraps.
    You'll find them in a variety of configurations, but the easiest way to tell is your helmet is Iranian made or a refurb is by the angle of the visor. The older Iranian liners are made of leather and the chinstraps are a single rotary buckle design like the original West German helmets. The most recent version is a 5 tongue cotton liners with a double buckle chinstrap. Both West German and Iranian made shells are still in service today with Basij Volunteers, reservists, and various police and interior organizations. I got this information from two different Iranian veterans.
    This information now has been confirmed through two different collectors that as well are studying them and trying to dig up information on there origins of being manufactured in Iran, the one gentleman Mac Osborn I know has direct contact with sources in country but as there is no evidence in the form of documentation to support this sadly we must still consider it speculative...

Regards Mark

Hi there,

Were the West German M1A1 exported before or after 1992 ?

?

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hi there,

Were the West German M1A1 exported before or after 1992 ?
    A good question that I can honestly say I can not answer

I agree they have several variations, some made from West German M62 shells, and some like the helmet shown appear to be mfg in IRAN , they seem to have more of a crude look , not German

British WW2 steel shells were also refurbished and had liners replaced , seen in old IRAN IRAQ war photos

Hi there,

in addition, this article is quite interesting

WWII weapons in the Ayatollah’s Iran – wwiiafterwwii

In the lower third there is a section with helmets.

According to this, the West German M1A1s (which are always wrongly called M62, but they are M1A1 and 1960/61 introduced) were imported in the 1970s together with West German G3A3s and called M66 in Iran.
    The import would then have to have taken place since 1966 ...

Regards