Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Portugeuse M1917 Helmet Questions?

Article about: Hi Folks - Picked up this Portuguese M17 Helmet. Wondered if there were any thoughts on it. In rough condition, but here are my thoughts: - Post WW1 paint? - WW1 Liner & Chinstrap? - No

Default Portugeuse M1917 Helmet Questions?

Hi Folks -

Picked up this Portuguese M17 Helmet. Wondered if there were any thoughts on it.

In rough condition, but here are my thoughts:

- Post WW1 paint?
    - WW1 Liner & Chinstrap?
    - No evidence or remnants of any decal
    - The rim is buckled all the way around. Either poorly made or added later?
    - Only stamps are the Firth FS31. No other maker marks.
    - Split pins

So, does anyone think it is a WW1 helmet that was painted post war but didn't receive a new liner. Maybe, where was it used, etc...

Thanks for any thoughts!

- Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Portugeuse M1917 Helmet Questions?   Portugeuse M1917 Helmet Questions?  

Portugeuse M1917 Helmet Questions?   Portugeuse M1917 Helmet Questions?  

Portugeuse M1917 Helmet Questions?  

Well. That's interesting. I'm slightly familiar with the Portuguese-used Brodie and Mk1 shells, and this is somewhat unusual for me. It's not the standard Portuguese liner, that's certain, and I also believe the strap is original British, so it might be the original liner even though it doesn't look right to me. (I have no hands-on with original British WW1-era helmets).

I've not seen (except on webpages) any black examples, and from what I understand they were used by the DCT, the Civil defence force. I have seveal of these Portuguese helmets and they are all varying shades of green. Military-issue helmets would not have had any decals or markings - they were for DCT or Legiâo Portuguesa (fascist contingents with Franco forces in the SCW).

The rims - which I feel sure are original British - do seem to have deteriorated quite a lot where they exist - some shells did not have rims originally and they were not retrofitted in Portugal. These shells definately outlived their expected service life by several decades.

?

Its an interesting one, as Greg said the liner is different to what would normally be expected for British or Portuguese. The strap I don't think is British, the two parallel embossed lines are not seen on British helmets but are on Portuguese and also British straps are riveted not stitched.

The buckled rim is common.

I would say it is a post war Portuguese refit. Is the material in crown woven or felt like?

Steve.

JMM
    ?

All the ones I've seen are green and have the DCT / Legiao Portuguesa logo (faded or not)
    Like this:

Portugeuse M1917 Helmet Questions?Portugeuse M1917 Helmet Questions?

Thank you Gentlemen!

The strap appears to be exactly like the one in JMM's post.

Tinhat, the liner in the top (while plenty worn) appears to be a woven fabric on a canvas base. The leather is almost like a pigskin, very thin.

I think my camera is distorting the color. I will try to take a photo outside tomorrow, but I believe it is a very dark green over a tan like paint/rust. The first photo with the split pin somewhat shows the color, but it was pretty cold and snowing out so I snapped the pics inside.

- Mike

It's worth mentioning that I have some Portuguese M40 helmets with distinctly non-standard liners or straps; the theory is that they are in-service replacements when nothing better was available. Remember, Portugal was a rather poor country for parts of the 20th Century, and these helmets might also have been used in places far far away from normal repair facilities. Not impossible the same sort of thing happpend with some M1917.