Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Postwar German used M40 stalhelm

Article about: Hi,I've bought this at a good price after viewing the forum's nice selection of helmets from the BGS and police in West Germany. It has the 1953 liner system and also the earlier 3 split pin

?

Default Postwar German used M40 stalhelm

Hi,I've bought this at a good price after viewing the forum's nice selection of helmets from the BGS and police in West Germany.
    It has the 1953 liner system and also the earlier 3 split pin holes welded up which member Sleepwalker has shown in his excellent posts.
    I wonder if anyone can please comment on the fairly bright and very rough textured paint that has been applied to the outside and the inner skirt.
    The paint was applied with the liner still inside.
    The original paint inside the dome has patches missing and what looks like a light coloured primer visible.
    There is no rubber piece for the top of the liner but the remains of the foam ring were found inside.
    There are stamps on the inner rear skirt which are obscured by the repaint but lead me to think this is a wartime helmet,perhaps a Quist by the ventholes.
    I don't know if post war production helmets also had their split pin holes welded over for modification to the 1953 liner system and would love to know.
    Thanks for any information members can provide regarding the helmet's present condition,its service use and its origins.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Postwar German used M40 stalhelm   Postwar German used M40 stalhelm  

Postwar German used M40 stalhelm   Postwar German used M40 stalhelm  

?

M53?

?

M53 of some variety, I'm just not sure which.
    Thank you.

Looks like a Quist to me with those huge vents and the green looks very Grenzschutz doesn't it?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Thanks Dan,
    I hope it's a Quist in the afterlife.
    It would be nice to think it served on with a couple of repaints.

IMO BGS, (Bundesgrenzschutz), but, not a WWII lid actually ...

You can find such "M53" BGS helmets without "vents" also:
    Postwar German used M40 stalhelmPostwar German used M40 stalhelm

Hello,

it is an M1953 of the BGS.

After 1976, the outside was painted over in the new color mint green RAL 6029.

Inside it is still black-green RAL 6012.

greetings

As far as I am aware, the Polizei had a smooth paint finish, while the Bundesgrenzschutz had a textured finish. There is probably a makers stamp to the rear . My example is darker than it appears in these pictures.

Cheers,
    Steve

Postwar German used M40 stalhelmPostwar German used M40 stalhelm

?

Thanks very much for the helpful and interesting comments.
    Very interesting to see your helmets Steve and Reibert.
    Thanks Sleepwalker for confirming the paint so accurately.It surprises me the repaint was done without bothering to remove the liner which is a simple matter and a feature of the design.
    This is certainly an M53 in its current configuration but the welded split pin holes the shell has and the obscure stamps in the inside of the rear skirt still have me thinking this may be pre 45 production converted later.
    I am including the best photo I can get right now of the stamps and it gives the impression of a late rear marked Quist M40 in size 66 to me.
    Sorry about the photo rotation,the stamps are in the centre of the shaded area.
    Thank you for any opinions,the post war helmets are an intriguing and somewhat more complicated field given their long service perhaps.
    Thank you for your patience and assistance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Postwar German used M40 stalhelm  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast