Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Question about a Hungarian 'Civil Defense' M50 helmet (???)

Article about: Hi Guys! I'm a collector of Hungarian helmets - some of you probably saw a few of my threads - but now I have a question: I'm biding on this M50 helmet (it's cheap), it has a nice period 195

?

Default Question about a Hungarian 'Civil Defense' M50 helmet (???)

Hi Guys!

I'm a collector of Hungarian helmets - some of you probably saw a few of my threads - but now I have a question:

I'm biding on this M50 helmet (it's cheap), it has a nice period 1950s-60s silver paint-job with painted "PV" marking (meaning "Polgári Védelem" = Civil Defense)
    I usually get nice condition helmets, but this one has a rough looking padding and a torn leather chin-strap - see pic. - But since it has a rare paint-job, I still want to get it...and hopefully will.

My question: I have another rusty M50 (not rare type), however with nice liner padding and chin-strap - I kept this helmet for spare parts...Now it's easy to remove the paddings, but the chin-strap D-rings are attached by small rivets.
    Can those rivets be removed, to take off the chin-strap? I could replace both liner and chin-strap if possible...but those rivets look like are there to stay - or is there a secret?

Worse case scenario: I just replace the paddigs - but would be nice to also replace the chin-strap...

Here are the pics for the 'Civil Defense' helmet I hope to win:
    Question about a Hungarian 'Civil Defense' M50 helmet (???)Question about a Hungarian 'Civil Defense' M50 helmet (???)

Here you can see how these were put together:
    http://www.cascoscoleccion.com/hungria/hung50.htm

THX in advance!

Fabe

I think the helmet is more valuable and interesting if you dont change the parts, because those are the original parts that came with that helmet and everything matches

changing the parts will make it less valuable as a collectors piece and it wont be original anymore, plus the rivet is not easy to replace and it wont look right because those are factory installed rivets using special tools

I know it's tempting to try to fix it up with newer parts, but I think it would ruin it

it looks great in the old worn condition or salty condition

?

THX, I def. not touching the rivets...

?

Very unusual example Fabe, I like to tinker with helmets but If I was you I would leave it as it is. I hope you are successful in winning it and look forward to more photo's as and when you post them here

?

Thanks, just won it for the "starting price" (1500 Hungarian Forint = 4.80 EU), 'guess noone wanted the salty liner...

?

Quote by Fabe View Post
    Thanks, just won it for the "starting price" (1500 Hungarian Forint = 4.80 EU), 'guess noone wanted the salty liner...
    Congrats fabe, great news I look forward to seeing your own detailed shot's, personally I have a preference for salty helmets, and for 4.8 EU and fantastic bargain too

?

UPDATE:

The helmet arrived last week...
    Good news: Nice rare helmet-paint, good rust-free shell, nice "Rákosi regime inkstamp pre-1956 - see on pic. inside front part
    Bad news: Liner and chin-strap is horrible, torn-smelly-dirty cushions and string

I did have a same M50 helmet for parts...well, I took the 3 cushions and the string and replaced the torn pads. (It was the same age, same parts).
    Since the chin-straps are installed with factory rivets, they will have to stay (too bad). Actually the short strap looks "ok", the long one is almost ripped, hanging by 2 mm of leather...so I just paper-taped it, so it won't rip off totally.

Before:
    Question about a Hungarian 'Civil Defense' M50 helmet (???)

After:
    Question about a Hungarian 'Civil Defense' M50 helmet (???)Question about a Hungarian 'Civil Defense' M50 helmet (???)Question about a Hungarian 'Civil Defense' M50 helmet (???)Question about a Hungarian 'Civil Defense' M50 helmet (???)Question about a Hungarian 'Civil Defense' M50 helmet (???)

?

Hi fabe, great news and restoration, it display's very well