Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questions about a GSG9 / SEK helmet

Article about: Hi, mates, Among other things, I like to collect helmets from the BGS / GSG9 / SEK´s, as long as they are offered in my area. I bought this helmet because of these pictures, which I am allo

Default Questions about a GSG9 / SEK helmet

Hi, mates,

Among other things, I like to collect helmets from the BGS / GSG9 / SEK´s, as long as they are offered in my area.

I bought this helmet because of these pictures, which I am allowed to show here.

On the right side of the shell (in the rim), a hole with a diameter of about 2mm to 3mm was drilled, but it was sealed again.
    The seller has already received the helmet in this condition and has not done anything on the helmet himself.

He thinks there might have been a badge or emblem here.

Along with the helmet, the seller also received this camouflage cover, which was put over the helmet.

Unfortunately, I myself have no idea whether such a helmet camouflage cover was used by the Bundesgrenzschutz (Federal Border Police) or, the GSG9, or, the Para´s of the Bundeswehr at all, or whether this is a collector's item for the reenactment.

According to the seller, the spanner bolts are made of aluminum.
    Was there something like that?

The helmet is not here with me yet and unfortunately I can't show any other pictures than the pictures that the seller has posted.

Can someone give me more information about this helmet?

Thanks in advance,
    R.
    Questions about a GSG9 / SEK helmetQuestions about a GSG9 / SEK helmetQuestions about a GSG9 / SEK helmetQuestions about a GSG9 / SEK helmetQuestions about a GSG9 / SEK helmetQuestions about a GSG9 / SEK helmetQuestions about a GSG9 / SEK helmetQuestions about a GSG9 / SEK helmetQuestions about a GSG9 / SEK helmet

Did some research, the camouflage cover is a collector's item.

Nice helmet, although the surface looks a little rubbed down. I've never seen one of those covers either.

Cheers,
    Steve

hello reibert,

the cover is a reproduction of a WWII paratrooper cover. Such covers were not used in the BGS or by the state police after 1975.

The helmet is a GSG9 or SEK helmet. Definitely procured by the federal government. Color is black-green RAL 6012.
    I'm guessing the helmet was made in the late 1970's/early 1980's. This is also supported by the screws without a through hole. The first helmets still had this hole.
    It has been worn quite heavily and the chin strap is damaged.

Regards

Here are some more pictures of the heavily dragged helmet.

As far as I know, these helmets were still used and worn by the GSG9 / Grenzschutzgruppe 9 (Border Guard Group 9), the SEK's / Spezialeinsatzkommando (special task force), of the Länderpolizeien, (state police), and the BGS / Bundesgrenzschutz (Federal Border Guard) for some time after the introduction of new, improved protective helmet models for training purposes .

The liner of this helmet also looks correspondingly used up, but, I like this "been there, done that look"

I already own a few of these helmets in slightly used to near mint condition but I'm looking forward to this one.
    Questions about a GSG9 / SEK helmetQuestions about a GSG9 / SEK helmetQuestions about a GSG9 / SEK helmetQuestions about a GSG9 / SEK helmet

P.S.:
    The fabric helmet cover is a reproduction (replica) of a Wehrmacht Luftwaffe steel helmet camouflage cover, made for the collectors' market.

I found such a helmet sample with me.

In this thread:
    GSG 9 helmet, my Xmas present to myself !

some GSG9 helmets, also used in the SEK, Spezialeinsatzkommando, (special task force), by some state police.

Hello,

yes, that had to do with the fact that some SEK were equipped by the federal government (BUND). Therefore they received GSG9 material. Helmets procured by the federal states differed in color and sometimes also in shape.

Regards

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    hello reibert,

the cover is a reproduction of a WWII paratrooper cover. Such covers were not used in the BGS or by the state police after 1975.
    During my basic training (a long, long time ago...) with the Austrian Armed Forces, we recruits bought all camouflage helmet covers from the army shops in the area, (including some in the camouflage pattern of the former Wehrmacht-Heer and Wehrmacht-Luftwaffe, also in the camouflage scheme of the Waffen-SS which you could already buy as a reproduction back then, also genuine US Army camouflage helmet covers), which we could get to save us having to camouflage our helmets by ourselves.

Some drill instructors tolerated this, most unfortunately not...
    But the trainers obviously didn't know which armies used the corresponding camouflage schemes anyway ..

Hello,

The West German police and the BGS, when they still had paramilitary character, did not use helmet covers from the NATO shop. That applies more to the Bundeswehr.
    The BGS had swamp camouflage clothing and hoods from which helmet covers were made anyway. The Berlin State Police also had swamp camouflage uniforms.
    No helmet covers or nets appear to have been used on the GSG9. Allegedly, there was an attempt to wear single-colored helmet covers in RAL 6012. At least some of these covers from BGS stocks were spotted.
    Possibly one had concerns about getting caught somewhere with covers or nets. GSG was also airmobile.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast