Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Relic M16 - I am confused - opinions please

Article about: Hello, First of all I must mention that it was impulsive purchase priced about EUR 60 in total. I really wanted relic M16 and I saw it yesterday in olx. The guy said it belonged to his grand

Default Relic M16 - I am confused - opinions please

Hello,

First of all I must mention that it was impulsive purchase priced about EUR 60 in total.
    I really wanted relic M16 and I saw it yesterday in olx.
    The guy said it belonged to his grandfather.
    It came from in the middle of Bulgaria.
    I am little suspicious on the originality - something says me it is well baked Chinese M16.

Please share your opinion.

BR,

Alex

Hello,
    Looks like a relic condition helmet shell to me, that has been covered with black paint from spray can.

It looks fine to me Alex, in such condition is to be expected I doubt it's even worth getting a Chinese replica and leaving it to rust. My only observation would be that I'm not sure whether some of the surface has been coated in filler and then painted over (it may just be a trick of the light in the photos). Given that the dome metal is thin it may be that some holes have been filled in?
    However over all it is an original "relic" M16.

Thank you.
    As I can see it was painted black twice.
    Inside and little, like someone tested paint on the closest object before painting something else.
    On the outside is old and paint was applied with brush - some paintbrush hair present.
    I am unhappy with that two layers of black paint.
    Pitting is not masked at all with filler.
    Rivets are small and strange.
    Also it is sized as 66, but horns indicate smaller size.
    Hangers for the chinstrap are brass.
    What about oxalic bath?

Liner pins look too long to be Imperial German as they are quite short, and I would then say potentially used in WW2 with a TR liner fitted but likely not, as it still has the WW1 chinstrap hardware attached to the lugs and these were removed when the helmets were refurbed for WW2 use. A size 64 in my opinion, judging by the vent lugs. The early M16’s often had brass 1891 chinstrap hardware which was used up until steel and later zinc hardware was pressed into service. Perhaps the pins were something added to fill the holes before covering in the black paint.

Andy

?

Hello Humanic, using oxalic won't work because of the fresh layer of paint on the helmet. You would have to strip the paint before using the oxalic on a shell who was in humid ground for a long time & already damaged. You may end up doing more harm than good. Maybe better to leave it as is.

I would see a small LED lamp on a shelf, the helmet simply sitting over it, from time to time it can be turn on, the light going through the helmet's holes would create a nice visual effect specially if among your other helmets. A nice way to enjoy your M16 relic.

Regards
    Jack

Thank you! Stays as it is. I am happy with that helmet. Here in Bulgaria we are depleted on M16's.

One more observation.

The chinstrap hardware is brass made as I mentioned earlier, but also the upper part of their posts are made of brass.
    Is this an early m16?
    Last edited by Humanic; 06-19-2024 at 01:36 PM.

Quote by Humanic View Post
    Thank you! Stays as it is. I am happy with that helmet. Here in Bulgaria we are depleted on M16's.

One more observation.

The chinstrap hardware is brass made as I mentioned earlier, but also the upper part of their posts are made of brass.
    Is this an early m16?
    Not an early M16. The earliest M16’s were the Square Dip model that were field tested by Storm-Battalion Nr5 Rohr in late December 1915 with the initial 30,000 lot of helmets issued by the end of January 1916. These helmets had a very steep transition between the front and rear visor which was prone to cracking and led to this design being changed for a more gentle slope for all helmets from early in 1916 onwards.

This one could have been made early in 1916 or even in 1917, however it’s hard to say as we cannot see which liner band system it used i.e. leather or steel.

Thank you very much for your information.

Just to add, WW1 helmets were re-purposed for use by many nations after the end of the war, so in re-thinking your helmet, it may have been repurposed later for use by Latvian, Bulgarian or other nations which may explain the unusual long liner pins and the fact that the chinstrap points appear to point forward in your helmet as opposed to backwards or down as in Imperial German helmets. So perhaps re-used.

Some nice helmets you have there too! Is the Bulgarian decal painted or a waterslide decal?

And yes, I love German WW1 helmets too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast