Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

To restore, or not to restore, that is the question! ...

Article about: To restore or not to restore, that is the question! ... Hi mates, I have received several helmets in the last few days, including a helmet from the NVA of the former GDR (an early model M195

Question To restore, or not to restore, that is the question! ...

To restore or not to restore, that is the question! ...

Hi mates,
    I have received several helmets in the last few days, including a helmet from the NVA of the former GDR (an "early model" M1956 with rough / textured camouflage), and a Hungarian "M1950".

Both helmets were obviously stored poorly and show signs of rust, so, they're simply "salty" ! ...

Should I clean and rework the helmets (for example with oil and leather grease), or should I simply leave the helmets in their original, found condition? ...

I would prefer to just leave the two helmets in the condition in which I received them.

Of course I can "improve" the helmets by using oil and sandpaper and also leather grease, but I don't want to do that.
    I think that by doing so I would be "devaluing" the helmets and "distorting" the contemporary originality and the circumstances in which they were found.

Of course a "cleaned" and "refurbished" helmet would be "worth" more, but where is the demand of a collector here?
    The condition after cleaning/overhaul, or the condition as the object was actually found? ...

What's your opinion ?

Thx. in advance,
    Ro

To restore, or not to restore, that is the question! ...To restore, or not to restore, that is the question! ...To restore, or not to restore, that is the question! ...To restore, or not to restore, that is the question! ...

Hi Ro.
    Nice helmets!
    Hi, I personally like the used look of collectibles. Something like that, except cleaning them well with a soft cloth, I would leave them as they are. But it is only my opinion.

Regards
    Santi

I think I will actually leave the helmets in the same condition as I received them.

I would still be interested in further opinions!

An uncleaned and unrestored helmet is both nicer, aswell als worth more. A helmet looses value as soon as it gets played with.

Nice pickups!

Other than a very light wipe - do nothing! I totally agree with our peers here. The wear is the helmet's history. Neil

Hi Reibert,
    I agree, they're just right as they are. I bought an M34 ammo can this year, with the intention of using to store 'collectibles' & cleaned the surface rust, renaissance waxed it & it's perfect....
    for its purpose !
    Paul

?

Leave them as they are. You have a couple of nice helmets that are good to look at and in a condition that history has made.
    You restore them and you wipe their story and history and you will just be left with a couple of sterile restored helmets.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Totally agree with the sentiments of the other guys. These helmets look perfect just as they are in "as worn condition". The only comment I would make in regards to preservation would be to check on their condition from time to time to monitor for any signs of mould, rust or similar deterioration. We had three years of rain here in Sydney, Australia which caused very humid conditions which lead to some mould in some of my helmets. Because I noticed it quickly, I was able to stop the spread and lightly clean the mould with some warm water. I now use a dehumidifier and have had no similar occurrences.

Andy

I think we have reached a consensus here ...
    Restoring a helmet is robbing it of its history. And those two are in excellent collector condition. Please don't touch.

Jesper

I would say use oiled cloth to rusted parts for damage control.
    Rusted spots only grows in too dry room temperature, never disapears.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast