Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Romanian? Dutch? Completely lost on this one

Article about: Any help is appreciated!

Default Romanian? Dutch? Completely lost on this one

Any help is appreciated!Romanian? Dutch? Completely lost on this oneRomanian? Dutch? Completely lost on this oneRomanian? Dutch? Completely lost on this oneRomanian? Dutch? Completely lost on this oneRomanian? Dutch? Completely lost on this oneRomanian? Dutch? Completely lost on this one

Hello.

Dutch M1934.

Regards

Well, that may well be a M34 shell (always have trouble telling the M27 and M34 apart...) but that's a very unusual liner. Looks like it has the original strap and liner band, and even the felt underpads, but that liner is odd. It immediately made me think of the Romanian Dutch shells relined with German I31 liners, but it obviously isn't that either. The liner looks familiar - those little reinforcing discs on the lobes are familiar but I can't identify them so far and I have checked the usual suspects. Nothing in de Joode's books either, though I have checked quickly and may have missed something. Interesting thing. Shall look forward to a more detailed explanation which might prove me wrong!

It looks like the liner from a Czech Vz 53 helmet - But I need to get home before I can check it (no pun)

Yes, Jesper, I though Vz32 too, but I haven't seen one with the reinforcing discs on top of the liner lobes like this one. The 53 has them on the underside. So far as I know.

?

Could be installed with the inside out?

Quote by Jack59 View Post
    Could be installed with the inside out?
    Yes - my thought exactly. Why I need to check it when I get home from work.

?

German perhaps? Modifications were needed to fit the German liner & it's band into the captured Dutch M34 helmets issued to their Romanian allies. This one was not modified but the liner was anyway fitted on the original leather band or seems to, inside out?

German liner inside out for reference.

I am liking Jack's idea of it being inside out - when you look at the relevant pics with that in mind its quite likely we're seeing the unfinished side of the leather, the part that would be normally away from the head.

Now, as to whether it is Czech or German - well, not impossible that its a German one fitted at the same time as all the more normal refurbs with the complete German liner ring. Or it could have been done at a later date, either as a QM field mod with only partial liners, or indeed much later by someone wanting to make a German-relined Romanian/Dutch helmet (OK, unlikely but not impossible, there are some strange people out there.) I'm personally reluctant to claim it is a German-made leather as I just have not seen/handled enough of them to be sure.

As to whether it is a one-off or not your guess is as good as mine. I've definately not seen another of these.

Some times the solution is the one closest at hand. I took a look at my Romanian M39 and look at this ....

Romanian? Dutch? Completely lost on this oneRomanian? Dutch? Completely lost on this one

Definitely looks like a Romanian M39 with the liner inside out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast