Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Romanian M34 helmet

Article about: Greetings! I recently got an M34 ww 2 helmet and added to my colection. It has some beating but its still have some sentiemntal value because its our history. In the last photo we have a com

Default Romanian M34 helmet

Greetings! I recently got an M34 ww 2 helmet and added to my colection.

It has some beating but its still have some sentimental value because its our history.
    In the last photo we have a comparation between german interior and the romanian one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Romanian M34 helmet   Romanian M34 helmet  

Romanian M34 helmet   Romanian M34 helmet  

Romanian M34 helmet  
    Last edited by DarkOne; 09-19-2023 at 10:56 PM.

TWS
    ?

Congrats! I found one once in Lipscani, but the condition was not good at all so I didn't try to purchase it.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Hello Darkone,

Nice helmet. In The Netherlands we call this helmet M38R, as it has a slightly different shape from the original Dutch design. Your helmet has the official Romanian acceptance stamp which is nice!

I believe in Romania this helmet was called M39 or Casca de Otel. Hollandes. Your liner is the original Dutch one, that survived the war and post war use in your country. The chinstrap is a German replacement.

In informed Dutch collector circles the naming of Dutch helmets have been updated. The M34 has been renamed in M33 and M38. Both slightly differ from each other. Mainly in the angle of the placement of the liner.

Cheers,
    Emile

Thx for your reply, very informative i always wanted a pertinet information as the know info i have is a little vague. I was stunned i have found one that survived the war, and the post comunist regime.
    Here in Romania we usualy find them random in the markets on people who dont know what they are or in lots from the military on official sells.
    I will attach more clear pics as it has a very nice brush applyed texture as i haven't seen before.
    What is your opinion on the Book The Steel Helmet 1916-1946 by Kevin de Joode as reference for the dutch helmets?

Best regards to all!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Romanian M34 helmet   Romanian M34 helmet  

Romanian M34 helmet  

Hello DarkOne,

The book you mention is the earlier one bij Kevin de Joode. It is a nice book that gives lots of information. But since publication the writer, together with a group of serious collectors, has done extensive research and published an updated version that contains new knowledge about the Dutch helmet and the ones used in the Netherlands East Indies, now Indonesia. For instance: The so called M34 exists actually in three very similar variants; M27GE, M33 and M38 and some sub-variants. The Romanian one is the Dutch M38.

It is in Dutch only, I am afraid. The title is: "De Nederlandse stalen helm 1916 - 1992" (The Dutch steel helmet 1916 - 1992).

Cheers,
    Emile