Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Romanian Para Helmet M73

Article about: Here's another piece from my Warsaw Pact sub-collection; An M73 Para helmet in very good condition. It is very similar in general appearance to the Polish WZ-63 but does seem to be of less r

Default Romanian Para Helmet M73

Here's another piece from my Warsaw Pact sub-collection;

An M73 Para helmet in very good condition.

It is very similar in general appearance to the Polish WZ-63 but does seem to be of less "robust" quality.

The shell is similar to the standard M73/80 as if it could be a truncated version of the same profile.

The liner is of very soft and thin (much thinner than the Polish version) black leather which is very comfortable but I doubt it would take very much punishment.

The rimless shell is of a thinner guage than most steel helmets and I am suspicious of the level of ballistic protection provided.

The net which is permanantly attached during assembly (it is fitted between the shell and liner) is quite delicate and would rip very easily in use.

Inside the shell and under the liner is a worsted wool "crown" which can only serve as an insulating layer.

All in all an interesting piece and I am sure the troops wearing it felt they "cut a dash" in the looking cool elite forces stakes at home but from a soldiers viewpoint I wouldn't thank you for it as a combat helmet!

Romanian Para Helmet M73Romanian Para Helmet M73Romanian Para Helmet M73Romanian Para Helmet M73Romanian Para Helmet M73Romanian Para Helmet M73

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I love these helmets....they're a lot more easier to obtain nowadays than when they were once just grainy photographs!

Here's the other "big-cowl" version...un-trimmed rim etc

Romanian Para Helmet M73Romanian Para Helmet M73Romanian Para Helmet M73

Quote by Composite View Post
    they were once just grainy photographs!
    Yes , I remeber those photgraphs well and the hours spent pouring over them during recognition training!

I think the weird looks are enough to get them into any collection of helmets, especially the "big cowl" which I think has a positively medieval appearance. Dare I mention Dracula?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Great Example Mark ,I have always been led to believe this type you show is manufactured from a cut down m73 infantry shell but not 100% on that ..I am basing it on the fact no date stamp can be found on my example Ade's example looks to be a full size M73/80 shell ,Your right though the nets can be easily damaged so great you found an example intact ,If you don't mind i may as well post up mine
    Regards JamesRomanian Para Helmet M73

Thanks James, yes these are clearly two different shells and it would be great to know whether the "short shell" is in fact cut down or just a different pattern manufactured that way.

Also, as the camo cover appears to be added between the liner and shell as is the net (suggesting to me that this is a manufacturing process and not repeatable in the field) yet some helmets do not have the cammo cover, does anyone know if this is a date related feature? I am guessing but would expect that the net only helmets would predate the net and cover types. Unless of course the liner and shell can be easily separated for the purpose. I haven't looked that closely yet but it certainly isn't obvious!

Regards

Mark

I’ve looked at the net fitment before....it’s a normal “purse” net jammed up between the shell and the edge padding........or at least that’s how it is on mine

Quote by Composite View Post
    I’ve looked at the net fitment before....it’s a normal “purse” net jammed up between the shell and the edge padding........or at least that’s how it is on mine
    Ah! The old "push it in with a stick" method. I was obviously looking at it with my NATO goggles on

Mark

that'll be the one...well, at least that's how mine seems to have been done....'back edge of a bayonet or similar...but hey, mine may be a one off and and there may be tiny little catches in others.

'guess those ol' Romanians never had Sniper Tape - "the professional's choice" ! :-)