Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Siam M26/31 helmet with raw edge

Article about: hello, collective wissdom, i want to present this Siam/Thailand helmet and ask some questions. This helmet has a raw edge. I looked on the internet and saw some siam helmets with a raw edge,

Default Siam M26/31 helmet with raw edge

hello, collective wissdom, i want to present this Siam/Thailand helmet and ask some questions.
    This helmet has a raw edge. I looked on the internet and saw some siam helmets with a raw edge, but most have an edge with a reinforcement. When you look at the pictures you might think that this helmet once had that reinforcement, but in my humble opinion the reason might also be because a raw edge is more vulnerable to damage and you can not see the difference in coulour on the edge of the entire helmet. I saw a siam helmet on the internet with a raw edge where te seller claimed that these were produced in Thailand itself at some time. One 'tongue' of the insigne has broken and so it has fallen a bit downwards.

My questions :
    - which countries did send these helmets to Thailand : both Belgium and France ? En can you make a difference between the two ?
    - Are there 'siam helmets' with a raw edge and are they made in Thailand itself or has the edge come off in this helmet ?

Thanks in advance !
    Erwin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Siam M26/31 helmet with raw edge   Siam M26/31 helmet with raw edge  

Siam M26/31 helmet with raw edge   Siam M26/31 helmet with raw edge  

Siam M26/31 helmet with raw edge  

Another question : i see both Siam adrian helmets on the internet : those with a rim (ww1 type) and those without a rim (ww2 type). Did Belgians/French send these helmets to Thailand in different periods ? A lot of questions. I wish I could understand Thai language...

This one, mentioned on the website in a previous post, has also this raw edge :
    SIAM TAILANDIA

?

Hi Erwin,
    I think this is probably the best reference for Thai helmets World War Helmets - Casque Modele 31

The Thai manufactured helmets were made in two halves and welded together so this one is not Thai made but probably a Belgian helmet.
    My personal opinion is that your helmet originally had rim which came off or was removed. These helmets had a long service and were repainted many times.

Steve

Well, I guess you are right. When I look to the pictures I made, it is obvious that it is more probable that the rim came off. Maybe the quality for helmets made for Thailand were less important as those made for the homeland (as you see more siam helmets with no rim....) Thanks for your reply.

Hello,
    it is indeed a helmet of Belgian manufacture whose deliveries ceased with the appearance of the 2nd world war.
    It must be a manufacture of the firm FONSON with aluminum crest and normally a welded border. As we said, this one must have disappeared (we can see traces on the color of the edge)
    The helmets had 2 types of crest: with rounded pionts, or like here, with pointed tips. This last version is rarer and was mainly attributed to officers.
    Very nice helmet!

?

I don't think they were manufactured differently for Thailand, it is more likely corrosion because of the climate. The rim is crimped and welded in one spot with the heat an moisture the corrosion would pop the rim.

Interesting helmets.

Steve.