Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Something I haven't seen in a British MK IV before

Article about: This very nice British Falklands era MK IV with MK V liner came in yesterday. All parts dated 1979, 1980 or 1981. But the real surprise here is that it turns out the shell itself is a MK III

Default Something I haven't seen in a British MK IV before

This very nice British "Falklands era" MK IV with MK V liner came in yesterday. All parts dated 1979, 1980 or 1981.

But the real surprise here is that it turns out the shell itself is a MK III. (Which then makes this a MK III shell and a MK V liner coming together to make a MK IV helmet!!!)
    This is nothing I have ever seen before, what about you guys?

/Jesper

?

Hi Jesper, this helmet modification is referred to as Helmet, Steel, Mk III, modified and Helmet, Steel, RAC Mk I, Modified. Introduced in 1959 along with the Mk 5 liner.
    Regards
    Jack

Quote by JesperS View Post
    This very nice British "Falklands era" MK IV with MK V liner came in yesterday. All parts dated 1979, 1980 or 1981.

But the real surprise here is that it turns out the shell itself is a MK III. (Which then makes this a MK III shell and a MK V liner coming together to make a MK IV helmet!!!)
    This is nothing I have ever seen before, what about you guys?

/Jesper
    Actually yes,

When we received the Mk6 in service and subsequently backloaded all the old steel helmets for dispoal part of the job was to strip out the liners etc as they went in the bin with olny the shells being backloaded (they were to be scrapped as steel salvage).

As I and my section were available it fell to us and we spent a couple of days doing this. It was an irritation but one most of us didn't really think any further about it, that some of the liners were attached with a Lift the Dot stud whilst a few had a nut and bolt requiring a screwdriver and pliers to remove.

Most of the lads just found it annoying and didn't realise the difference. I myself knew the difference but wasn't too interested in the "Militaria" aspect of the helmets at that time (I collected almost exclusively cap badges then).

As an aside one thing did did interest me was the ones that I found which were painted gloss "Brunswick" green with an MP patch with red stripe around the crown and had rank decals. I scarfed off a set marked from LCPL to Lt some of which were MkIIIs which nobody was interested in. I was pleased with these but sadly years later I lost patience with the wife carping on about "junk" in the attic and threw all except one in the bin

Mk IV MP helmet

The one I kept, shown in post #2 isn't a MkIII but the rank was relevant to me at the time.

So yes, there were around and you would never know what was under the scrim unless you took it off.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-20-2024 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Some MkIIIs had their holes closed and posts inserted (phnarr phnarr)....I have no idea what they're called...

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    So yes, there were around and you would never know what was under the scrim unless you took it off.
    I will probably never get it back on so that won't happen - Guess I'll have to die curious.
    It actually does have a "Lift the Dot" stud, but I guess it doesn't work.

/Jesper

Quote by Composite View Post
    Some MkIIIs had their holes closed and posts inserted (phnarr phnarr)....I have no idea what they're called...
    Yep, I saw a few like that too. I doubt it was given a designation as such a minor mod would cause admin well out of proportion and in reality it wouldn't make much difference. Often if a mod was required that just involved putting in a screw where there wasn't one before or maybe a longer one for instance there would just be a technical instruction (I forget what they were actually called) issued locally by Log Support Branch at the local HQ or if it was force wide possibly a Defence Council Instruction (DCI). This is exactly what happened when the water bottle cap was replaced with the newer version that had a drinking tube attachment for the respirator. Each unit got a big bag of new bottle caps in the post along with the instruction for individuals to change it themselves.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."