Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet / Warsaw Pact Tank helmet identification

Article about: I came across these photos recently of soviet style tank helmets used by the Israelis in the 50s / 60s. I know very little about this style of helmet. Is it possible to identify the country

?

Default Soviet / Warsaw Pact Tank helmet identification

I came across these photos recently of soviet style tank helmets used by the Israelis in the 50s / 60s. I know very little about this style of helmet.

Is it possible to identify the country they came from, or are they all copies of the same model?. Israel had no supply from the the Soviet Union so I suspect they came from Czechoslovakia or could be a local copy.

I would be grateful for any insight.

Thanks
    Steve.

Interesting Helmet Steve and the first i have seen of these Israeli issue tank helmets so i find your post fascinating ,The only thing i can compare this unique design to is my Chinese T69 type Tank Helmet ( don't quote me on the designation )so maybe a link there to an older model type we could further researchSoviet / Warsaw Pact Tank helmet identification
    Regards James

?

Hi James,
    Thanks for the response, I had seen photos that show this type of helmet but none with this level of detail until recently.

The Osprey Men-At-Arms 127: The Israeli Army in the Middle East Wars, 1948-73, mentions Czech supplied against one of the images and that wouldn’t surprise me in the early IDF days. The more I search around I can’t find one that has the same flaps over the headphone area.

Here's another photo from an old IDF book, looks to be canvas version with the same features - another one to add to list that I need to find.

Steve

?

The plot thickens, this is a 1948 magazine cover showing a cotton / canvas helmet, different to the ones above. I have seen photos of this helmet before but nothing this close up. I have not seen a Soviet type helmet with this design and I'm leaning towards a local copy being that its easy to produce.

The more I look at the photos in post #1 and #3, I think it is the same helmet pattern, and later version of this one. Another one for the Christmas list.

Any comments or clarity welcome

Steve

?

Color photos from a 1959 magazine, still no luck in finding an actual example though...