Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Steel PASGT shaped helmet

Article about: This one is a head scratcher, PASGT shaped but made of steel, has anyone seen anything like it before? Steve.

?

Default Steel PASGT shaped helmet

This one is a head scratcher, PASGT shaped but made of steel, has anyone seen anything like it before?

Steve.

There was an early version of what became the German 826 that was a steel-composite Hybrid - see BUSCH/VDN A3 here Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets GERMANY, GERMAN 826 828 helmet, Kevlar helmet composite helmets index but this isn't that. There was also a Chinese (commercial? export?) helmet that certainly has a similar shell and probably chinstrap rig, but a totally different net-type liner. I am far from sure it is the same thing - different line, slotted bolts rather than rivets etc. Here are a couple of photos I harvested from an Ebay sale some time ago -

Steel PASGT shaped helmet Steel PASGT shaped helmet Steel PASGT shaped helmet

Leter edit - see also the Chinese JK96 a and b types, similar shells, probably different internals.

?

Thanks Greg. The helmet is for sale in Israel, it has some Hebrew letters on the back which I'm trying to find out if it's a name or acronym, but I don't think it is Israeli made. The net liner might be, but that is a replacement, you can see an empty hole at the back.

It could be a Chinese shell, although there is no front hole for the pattern liner you show. It may well have come out of Lebanon or Gaza. I've just found this photo which although not clear cut could be this helmet, when compared with the Kevlar helmet on the guy behind it looks to have a thinner edge thickness.

Steve.

I'm pretty certain it definately is NOT any of the types I mentioned previously, though I am very much tending towards China as origin, if for no other rerason than they certainly have done this before. I've checked all my Usual Places and found no clear match, but still, China, that's my best bet.

?

I'm leaning towards China, possibly North Korea, but they probably use Chinese origin anyway.

Here's the photo of the back, I didn't post it earlier because it's a distraction to the helmet but it's unusual in itself to be that clearly and professionally marked. No military acronym or abbreviation I can find, just the name 'Ari'.

If I could get it cheap I would have it for the novelty but with fees and shipping I don't think it will happen.

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    I'm leaning towards China, possibly North Korea, but they probably use Chinese origin anyway.

Here's the photo of the back, I didn't post it earlier because it's a distraction to the helmet but it's unusual in itself to be that clearly and professionally marked. No military acronym or abbreviation I can find, just the name 'Ari'.

If I could get it cheap I would have it for the novelty but with fees and shipping I don't think it will happen.

It´s an israeli helmet actually.

Ari is the abbreviation for the prename Ariel

?

I'm sure it is not Israeli, they had composite helmets long before the PASGT shape was used, there is no reason why they would they produce a steel version of it.

The other thing is that marking a helmet like this would not be acceptable on issue equipment because at some point it goes back to a storeroom and is re-issue. More common is reservists having modified or converted equipment to make life a bit more comfortable or personalized. I think this is a captured or trophy helmet taken from either an operation in Lebanon or Gaza and personalized.

Here are a couple images to help explain

Motorcycle helmet with a cammo cover and IDF cap as a liner, nothing official about this.

IDF hat with Jordanian badges added, probably post Six Day War and certainly worn by the fading of the patches.

Steve

?

I’ve just come across this helmet for sale and I need to revise my earlier comments.

The helmet is made in Israel as can be seen by the label. The Hebrew reads ‘Helmet, Bullet Proof’, made of steel, the statement ‘Provided by Israel’ implies that it is some sort of aid rather than an export helmet, dated 2014. It’s a shame the second word of the Model is not readable.

I still don’t think it is used by the IDF, but it clears the origin up.

Steve

I saw this one too (on ebay, item number 313767052288 ) and it looked familiar but I had totally forgotten it was familiar from *here*, this thread, until the new message notification came in.

Anyway, yesterday I did a bit of googling on it, using the part number s245677 (as my Hebrew is useless, worse than my Ukrainian...) and pretty much the only thing that I found was a Ukrainian militaria site showing this - шолом сталевий PASGT 2M олива ціни в Києві, Харкові, Дніпрі, Маріуполі, Одесі, Запоріжжі | купити в інтернет-магазині Мілітарист - which I am pretty sure is the same thing. The brief description (thank you Google Translate!) reads -

"Israeli version of PASGT, only made of steel. Naturally, steel is thinner in thickness than the Kevlar dome, although it has a degree of protection of the 2nd class according to DSTU 2103-2002 and NIJ IIIA USA. Dome steel with a rough matte coating. The edge of the helmet is rolled. Inside mesh belt damping system with two damping cushions. Adjustable in size. The design of the helmet allows you to use a headset. And wear goggles. "

OK, its not telling us the how and why of things but it tells us something. Dunno quite what, except there must have been a lot of them made. Maybe opportunistic sales to Ukraine when they were short of kit after the first Russian invasion?

?

Thanks Greg, I certainly feels to me that is an opportunistic sale. It is slightly different to the original one posted because it doesn't have the extra liner hole and different chinstrap but none the less I fell it's one and the same model.

Steve