Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Strange Italian M33

Article about: Hello, I recently found an Italian M33 helmet that has an 8° Reggimento Autieri R.E. insignia riveted to the front. I've been told that the only helmet markings that were standard were pain

?

Default Strange Italian M33

Hello,
    I recently found an Italian M33 helmet that has an 8° Reggimento Autieri R.E. insignia riveted to the front. I've been told that the only helmet markings that were standard were painted on and that though some helmets have been seen with badges, they have never seen one with a pith helmet badge. Any clues what this could be?
    Strange Italian M33
    Strange Italian M33
    Strange Italian M33

?

Hi Darmar,

Following a series of ministerial regulations in 1921, 1923 & 1925 metallic emblems were introduced for all headgear, helmet included until 1933.
    Motor transport metallic insignia.
    Strange Italian M33

From 1934 to 1942 the Italian steel helmets emblems were stenciled type.
    Motor transport first type. Left
    Motor transport. Used since June 10th 1936.Right
    Strange Italian M33

Your helmet with the metallic insignia is very nice but against regulations, as we know there was always exeptions.

Source:
    From Marzetti's Helmetti (helmets) book, 2003 Edition pages 455, 462 & 463.

Regards
    Jack

Hi Darmar, as Jack59 said, while this practice was common in the 1920s and early 1930s on the M15 and 16 helmets, this was a discontinued after the introduction of the M33 helmet (and many older "Adrien" were refurbished by filling in the extra holes at the front).

How is this emblem attached? I am asking because from the photo it seems like the liner is not made of leather but some "faux leather" cloth, which can be found generally on Civil Defence / Air Raid Protection M33s. These helmets were made of a lower quality steel and identified (much like the British did on their MkIIs) by one extra hole drilled at the front or at the top (or even in both positions....I think). Sometimes these had also the same vent bolt as the other 3 holes.
    If this is one of these helmets, maybe someone has just attached that emblem either thinking to embellish it or thinking it was the right way to complete it....we'll probably never know for sure.

This helmet from my collection is a Civil Defence M33, probably used by Factory Fire Fighters as the painted emblem suggests. The liner seems to be made of the same material as yours.
    Hope this helps
    Michele

Strange Italian M33

Strange Italian M33

Strange Italian M33

?

Unfortunately, I just have these images from the surplus store. This store specifically is a rather far drive (a couple hours), and if I decide to go back it will be to buy this helmet. Really just debating whether to pull the trigger on it or not, because at $200 it would be my most expensive helmet yet but it does seem in pretty good condition and might have some history to it... No idea what these go for though

MAP
    ?

IMHO. Not one to spend $200 in based on the feedback given so far.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Darmar, IMHO $200 for a helmet that is so much out of the norm is too steep a price.
    A civil defence helmet (in Italy) could go from 50 to 100 euros (depending on features) and even above if one of the less common "rivetless" types.
    An army (Regio Esercito) plain one (no painted emblem, as it was on most of them) would probably fetch 100-200, again, depending on conditions.

Of course I cannot know anything for sure about this helmet, but I have a feeling it could be a civil defence with an obsolete emblem attached to it.
    Who did that?
    Well, it could be a seller trying to make it more "precious"
    Or, if a Vet bring back, it happened in 1945 where a GI did exactly the same as above. In this case, it would be nice to have its history, but words alone, I'm afraid cannot push the price so high...

Personal opinion only! In the end, anything is worth what we are prepared to pay for and be happy about

All the best
    Michele

?

Well said, I suppose I'll pass on this helmet. I'm more interested in Polish helmets anyways