Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Strange M1 Helmet

Article about: Hey there, I got an M1 as a gift a few years back, which I have been trying to identify for a while but haven't had any success. I've shown it around in a few other places on the internet be

Default Strange M1 Helmet

Hey there, I got an M1 as a gift a few years back, which I have been trying to identify for a while but haven't had any success. I've shown it around in a few other places on the internet before, but no one has actually been able to really say what it was other than "Maybe Asian?", "Maybe Euroclone?" and other vague guesses. I'm not much an expert on the M1 myself, but I've tried looking around to look around and find out.

As far as I've been able to tell, it has an American liner, but I haven't been able to identify what exact pattern the camouflage is of the cover, nor have I been able to identify the shell. The liner has no markings of any kind on it, and the shell is an odd shade of green, which has no markings other than a stamp of some sort at the very bottom.

Here is the Liner

Strange M1 Helmet
    Strange M1 Helmet
    Strange M1 Helmet

Helmet with cover

Strange M1 Helmet
    Strange M1 Helmet
    Strange M1 Helmet

Cover

Strange M1 Helmet
    Strange M1 Helmet

Shell

Strange M1 Helmet
    Strange M1 Helmet
    Strange M1 Helmet
    Strange M1 Helmet

Any assistance I can get in figuring out what this thing is in particular would be much appreciated.

The shell seems to be a German Euroclone made by Linnemann & Schnetzer from Ahlen in Germany.

L&S made helmets for many countries in Europe. A wild guess would be use by Denmark, judging by the chinstrap. The cover is not known to me.

Cheers,
    Emile

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Guess I'll have to keep looking as far as the cover goes, but that's a start.

Have a look at Camopedia. That might give you some direction.

The closest I found in pattern to it there was this Taiwanese style
    Strange M1 Helmet

Similarly applied to this other(not-M1) helmet here
    Strange M1 Helmet

It looks fairly close, however, one of the problems I've seen so far, even on M1s, is the way the cover is constructed.

Strange M1 Helmet
    Strange M1 Helmet

Every example I've found so far at least, on every type of helmet I've seen using these camo covers, they've used this sort of segmented style of construction, whereas the one I have has a more American style cover in terms of a central seam with smaller cutouts.

Here, on mine
    Strange M1 Helmet
    Strange M1 Helmet

The brown is also not quite as red it appears on the Taiwanese examples. I'll have to look more into Taiwanese helmet covers, maybe there is something built more in this style, but it's the closest I've been able to find so far at least.

This is indeed a Danish LS (Linnemann & Schnetzer) shell as already said. This is a 1962 A-14. Don't know what A-14 means, no doubt a lot number. I have seen A-1 to A-34, but always an A.
    The Danish Army bought LS shells in 1957, 1958, 1959 and 1962.

Ah, cool, thanks for the information.

Don’t mind that the ink stamp is “smeared”, thay all look like that. If you get a 1957 LS shell (1957 shells don’t have lot numbers) it will be fare more readable, almost sharp. In a twist of irony 1957 and 1962 are the most common shells here in DK. 1958 and 1959 are almost rare!? At least they don’t come around often. 1957 is btw the first year LS made shells, at least I know of no other country with earlier LS shells. The danish military might well be LS first client!

The earliest Dutch LS shell's are marked LS 58 and later. They came with Schuberth laminate liners.

Cheers,
    Emile