MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

STSh-81 [sfera]

Article about: Found this: Sfera The Сфера (Sphere) series helmets are bullet resistant helmets of titanium and steel manufacture with protective GOST ratings of 1 and 2 respe

?

Default Re: STSh-81 [sfera]

Found this:
    Sfera
    The Сфера (Sphere) series helmets are bullet resistant helmets of titanium and steel manufacture with protective GOST ratings of 1 and 2 respectively. Worn by the troops of the Interior Ministry in the Soviet Union, these helmets continue to be used today by police and special purpose troops.

СТШ-81 Сфера

The STSh-81 was the first example to be produced; as its name indicates, it was introduced in the year 1981. The production firm behind the project was НПП КлАСС (Classcom) and the material of choice was titanium.

While production of the STSh-81 has ceased, it continues to be used by troops today.

ССШ-94 Сфера-С

The SSSh-94 is the successor to the STSh-81 and is currently produced by Classcom. Outwardly similar to its predecessor, the introduction of steel armor allowed for improved quality and protection at the cost of additional weight (The STSh-81 weighs 2.4kg while teh SSSh-94 weighs 3.3kg). The steel used in the SSSh-94 is of the same type as that used in the Maska series of helmets.

In both examples, the helmet design consists of three plates: two round ones on the sides of the head, and one bow-shaped one that sits on top, stretching from the neck to the forehead. These plates are kept together by a padded cover, with drawstring to adjust the size and fit of the plates. The helmet may also be camouflaged with a helmet cover which appears in such patterns as VSR and Flora.

In addition to the original Russian helmets, Ukrainian and Polish analogues exist.

'been taking some snaps (there ARE other Forums you know!) and thought I'd round off this Thread with some pics of the Steel version (Ssh81). This lid was my "Most Wanted" for a good few years...and I even tried to get one in Moscow all those years ago....but eventually got one in that well known Soviet enclave that is Malvern in Worcestershire (UK). It's already been mentioned that these helmets are supposed to be comfortable.....errr....well, "snug" might be a better word but you'd need to add "very" and "heavy" to that too (7.5lbs heavy)...but it's the overall construction that really sets these helmets aside. Technically speaking, it's not REALLY a helmet...more like a bag of bits...literally. The set up consists of a cleverly designed hood-shaped bag into which 3 shaped steel plates insert...and are secured by long laces (not much Velcro here!).

These first 3 pics show the finished article, with and without the shaped (but un-stamped) VSR camo cover. The inner single-colour device is actually the bag that holds the metal bits together and the elongated chinstraps assist in that process.....

STSh-81 [sfera]STSh-81 [sfera]STSh-81 [sfera]

The single colour "bag" has two broad flaps which run the length of the shell and seal at the top.....and when opened reveal the first set of laces. One part of the metal covering can be seen through the laces.....

STSh-81 [sfera] STSh-81 [sfera]

When fully unlaced the central curved plate (technically I guess it's 2 plates but joined at a strip across the middle) can be removed and this then reveals a second set of laces which effectively sandwiches this central crown plate in place. When this second lower set of laces is undone one can access two side pockets where two more plates are slotted (one each side).

STSh-81 [sfera]

...these side pieces are shaped to butt-up to the central crown strip and cover the entire side of the head, including the wearers cheeks.

STSh-81 [sfera]

...eventually one ends up with a camo cover, a single-colour cloth set of pockets and three curved steel plates.

.....a work of art and a thing of beauty....no chicken wire, decals or leather in sight......a true throw-back to the Siege Helmets of old....but you certainly wouldn't want to wear this baby all day long....it makes that knot in the liner of a Mk6 look like a god-send!

Just bumping the thread and It's taken me 9 years from last posting a comment to finally adding a Titanium STSh-81 of my own ,only difference i notice is the white chin cup as opposed to black ones on other examples ,the reason perhaps is because this one came originally out of the Ukraine or perhaps It's just down to a different manufacturer STSh-81 [sfera]STSh-81 [sfera]STSh-81 [sfera]
    Regards James

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2