Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Swiss M18/40

Article about: Hi Fellow Collectors, here's a Swiss M18/40 from my collection, this one is in great condition, with the textured finish intact. I have heard that it was common practice for these helmets to

?

Default Swiss M18/40

Hi Fellow Collectors, here's a Swiss M18/40 from my collection, this one is in great condition, with the textured finish intact.
    I have heard that it was common practice for these helmets to have a tag inside with the owners name inscribed, this one does not have such a tag, but the there are K H initials scratched into the front leather pad, feel free to comment,and thanks for looking,Opex.

Swiss M18/40
    Swiss M18/40
    Swiss M18/40
    Swiss M18/40
    Swiss M18/40

As we're back into the wonderful world of Swiss helmets, here's something many might have missed on Ebay a week and a bit back; this is a genuine rock-solid certain original M18, with, to prove it, the remnants of the real original two piece buckle-type chinstrap pf the earliest issues (not the expected carbine-hook type). A wonderful, and genuinely rare, thing. I have never seen one in the metal and know of only two or three in collections.

I bid up as high as I could, but was handicapped by November having been a very expensive month. I bitterly regret dropping out at 122 euro and should have had the sense to borrow money to get this object - it will be a long day before another one come up for sale. I was actually surprised it didn't sell for more than it did.

Unfortunately the pic of the outside of the shell is crap - looks distorted by the angle, but the interior is a good representation.

Swiss M18/40
    Swiss M18/40
    Last edited by Greg Pickersgill; 11-23-2013 at 07:44 PM.

I've follow the auction on the one you posted Greg. Like you said, lower than i expected. Maybe slap a sticker on it with a lightening bolt, see what it does...
    Nice helmet Opex, here's how they made them.

Swiss M18/40Swiss M18/40Swiss M18/40Swiss M18/40

?

"Nice helmet Opex, here's how they made them."

Many thanks for looking Magic, that is a very impressive set of pictures, very interesting how they used the press to create the shape.