Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Swiss m18/63 civil defence helmet

Article about: A somewhat confusing result of a purchase from a surplus website. I suppose they just picked the helmet randomly. I ordered a swiss m18 helmet with a cover from the surplus site with no yell

?

Default Swiss m18/63 civil defence helmet

A somewhat confusing result of a purchase from a surplus website. I suppose they just picked the helmet randomly.

I ordered a swiss m18 helmet with a cover from the surplus site with no yellow paint visible on the example shown. Got it delivered and was initially confused why i had a fireman helmet. But looked into it and its a civil defence helmet. Not too disappointed as the price i paid is roughly the same these go for anyway. Luckily with the cover on it still displays well. I really like the chin strap design, clips in very well. Overall the helmet is very nicely made. Not a surprise being swiss

Swiss m18/63 civil defence helmetSwiss m18/63 civil defence helmetSwiss m18/63 civil defence helmetSwiss m18/63 civil defence helmetSwiss m18/63 civil defence helmet

Interestingly the cover seems to have had the colours applied via spray paint or something since there is a clean patch underneath the camo straps for foliage.

...I'm sure Mr Pickersgill will be along any moment now to share chapter and verse on his fave topic.......

Quote by Composite View Post
    ...I'm sure Mr Pickersgill will be along any moment now to share chapter and verse on his fave topic.......
    Well, I certainly did want to see it. Nothing much to add, I think the OP knows what he has. It's a M18/63 painted yellow, Civil Defence. That's good enough for me. Any Swiss helmet is good enough for me, actually. I am though interested in the website it was bought from - information please!

?

Here is a direct link to the page I ordered it from. It was the last one. I think its bad practice not to show the variations you could possibly get. I wasn’t expecting helmet lottery

Swiss army surplus M18 steel combat helmet AND camouflage cover – surplusandlost

Spotted this dealers ad on the milweb site, checked it out. Spotted the helmet and since i have a thing for helmets with flared neck areas thought it would be a good purchase.

[QUOTE=Jb4046;1877409] I think its bad practice not to show the variations you could possibly get. I wasn’t expecting helmet lottery /QUOTE]

The sad reality is that most surplus dealers - and so far as I can see perhaps the majority of 'militaria' dealers as well - don't know nor care that much about helmets at all, barely more than the uninterested person in the street. I used to waste too much time sending in cheerful and polite emails pointing out errors of listing, but got sick of either no response at all or the unfortunately common "I do this for a living so OBVIOUSLY I know what I am talking about." Yeah, sure. It's even worse at militaria fairs - dealers seem incredibly resistant to anything that contradicts what they already believe they believe.

I do know the SAL site, and I have always wondered - is it so much damned effort to simply include a photo of the interior? Yes, clearly it is.

?

I aint too disappointed. I still got a decent condition helmet of the type i wanted, just not army. I will probably pick up a black army one at some point to complement this one, that and buy a few camo covers. Just not from SAL

I aint gonna bother sending them a email if what you say if correct and that they dont care, nor would i ask for a refund. I am happy this helmet ended up with me rather than some person who will go on the surplus site to buy it for paintball or airsoft and spray paint it.

?

Hmmmm the plot thickens. I found a amazon listening from what I assume is the same dealer due to the same photos.

Swiss army surplus M18 steel combat helmet AND camouflage cover: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

The only review is a 1 star review and the poor guy got the same helmet as i did. Seems SAL have been fooling people into army M18/63s for a while

Top customer reviews
    Tony Pearson
    1.0 out of 5 starsProduct differs from what is advertised.
    7 March 2018
    Verified Purchase
    Ordered one of these, and received not an army surplus helmet, but a civil defense helmet - i.e. bright yellow one, not field grey. "Camouflage cover" was hand made, of very poor quality, painted in cam colours, but with insufficient contrast between the colours to make it effective camouflage, never mind looking anything like the original Swiss camouflage pattern.

thats common when you order from a retail business, they send you something similar to what they advertise, I prefer to only buy the exact item shown in the photo

shipping a Civil Defense helmet instead of the standard Combat version is something I would call "NOT as ADVERTISED"

one time I bought a helmet on ebay and asked the seller to check the size because I was looking for a LARGE size helmet and he lied and shipped me the smallest size made, I had to pay shipping to send it back and lost some money because they wouldnt pay return shipping.

?

I have run into a similar problem already. They are selling yugo m59 helmets very cheap. But you cant pick your decal or condition. Im tempted to email in advance to tell them my specifics for the purchase as i want a yugo flag with the JNA in the middle.

In my experience, it’s best to learn and move on to other sources. You’ve been disappointed once..... unless their offerings are ridiculously cheap and any monies aren’t an issue I’d steer clear.

Believe me, there’s ALWAYS another Helmet......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast