Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Swiss M18/63 Helmet

Article about: Latest (sort of) addition to the collection, Quite rare Swiss Luftschutz M18/63, made of an aluminum/steel composite and with a simple Three pad Liner directly riveted to the shell, these we

Default Swiss M18/63 Helmet

Latest (sort of) addition to the collection, Quite rare Swiss Luftschutz M18/63, made of an aluminum/steel composite and with a simple Three pad Liner directly riveted to the shell, these were originally trialled to go into use with the swiss military but were found to be sub-par in terms of overall protection so were handed over the Luftschutz (Air Guard) who were a Precursor to the Zivilschutz (Civil Defence) quite simple but surprisingly comfortable as these things go. ended up getting this in a trade with a buddy of mine from my Re-enactment group for an Early Austrian M-1.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Swiss M18/63 Helmet   Swiss M18/63 Helmet  

Swiss M18/63 Helmet  

Good helmet, but you have the designation wrong; this is an M46, produced after the war specifically (as far as I understand it) for the civil defence service. There is obviously a resemblance to the M18 series, but it is not a close relation, being aluminium and using a different chinstrap and liner system. I would be surprised if this had at any point been considered for the military, but I would also be pleased to get some new information. Many of these are available in the later bright yellow finish.