Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Today's Danish M48 pick up

Article about: Sharing the two Danish M48 helmets I picked up today. The first is a Diaward shell (1952) with a US WWII Westinghouse high pressure liner. The second one is a Linnemann-Schnetzer 1962 Shell

Default Today's Danish M48 pick up

Sharing the two Danish M48 helmets I picked up today.
    The first is a Diaward shell (1952) with a US WWII Westinghouse high pressure liner.
    The second one is a Linnemann-Schnetzer 1962 Shell with an early M65 plastic liner.

Both with late type replacement chinstraps (one of them missing on the LS shell)

/Jesper

I like the the thick weave netting on the left helmet

Nice pickup

Hmm lost my text in last post apparently! Anyway it’s a M/58 navy blue liner, in M/59 config. Looks like a first issue, but that depends on the webbing being 3 or 4 lanes. Would like to see the LS stamp as well as loop on both shells.

Quote by Twthmoses View Post
    Looks like a first issue, but that depends on the webbing being 3 or 4 lanes. .
    What does this mean? Please assume I have no idea of what you're referring to! Well, apart from 'webbing' of course.

It's a first issue liner with 3 lane webbing:

The LS stamp is very unclear, but it's 1962:

LS loop:

Diaward loop:

Quote by JesperS View Post
    It's a first issue liner with 3 lane webbing:

The LS stamp is very unclear, but it's 1962:

LS loop:

Diaward loop:

Thx for the images.
    Indeed a Diaward army shell. You keep that, they are not that easy to find any more. Only 53.000 Diaward Army shells was made, and unlike the Civil defense version, which was sold off in the late 90s, Army shells was active destroyed.

Prototypical LS shell for the Danish army. Do not mind the smeared stamp, they all look like that. Yours look like a 1962 A-31. The highest lot number I have seen so far is A-34. Do not know how many shells a lot comprises.

Danish liners are a bit complicated. You have the evolution of the webbing and the evolution of the plastic shell, and they do not happen at the same time. Webbing you have three or four lanes, in two basic colors, light green and dark army green + some later replacement colors . 4-lane webbing is first issue, while 3-lane are second issue, and came around by roughly 1960.

Shells are even more complicated. In the absent of marks in Danish liner shells, you have to noticed the small differences. The basic three types can be identified on the top of the shell, the small circle that is located there. There are more types then these three, made of different material, and slightly different production method. Inside the shell, there is also ways to identify. However, look at the top as basic.

Smeared top, 1.issue (1958), slightly sunken, with smeared center, 2.issue (roughly 1960) and crisp raised center, 3.issue (about 63-65). Remember there are more version in between these.

All Danish liners (of Danish make) is called M/58 – actually M/59 – regardless of shell, color, webbing or config. M/59 is because this is the only config that was NATO codified in 1962. An M/59 liner is an M/58 liner with chinstrap, nothing else. Meaning you could no more order a liner without a chinstrap. The later config, without a nape strap, often called M/63-M/65, it is not an official nomenclature, they are still called M/58 (M/59). All, regardless of factory made colors, of the liner exist on this one NATO stock number. There do exist a 2nd NATO stock number for a white Danish liner. There is no factory made white liner. This is a green army liner painted white for MP use, done centrally not locally.

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    What does this mean? Please assume I have no idea of what you're referring to! Well, apart from 'webbing' of course.
    Heh, just my bad English
    I am referring to the number of lines in the webbing, I call them “lanes”. 3 or 4 lines in the structure of the webbing.

Indeed a Diaward army shell. You keep that, they are not that easy to find any more.
    Yes, I am keeping the ones I find. Funny enough I seem to stumble upon them far more often than the VDN shells.

4-lane webbing is first issue, while 3-lane are second issue, and came around by roughly 1960.
    Sorry, my bad I dunno why I got that the wrong way around.

Thanks for your always valuable and detailed insights into these helmets

/Jesper