Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unexpected find Falklands war trophy?

Article about: I came across a dealer flogging several relic helmets and decided to pick one as it was dirt cheap. The rust had completely taken it and the top is thin with a hole in it. But can you imagin

Default Unexpected find Falklands war trophy?

I came across a dealer flogging several relic helmets and decided to pick one as it was dirt cheap. The rust had completely taken it and the top is thin with a hole in it. But can you imagine my surprise when I started to treat the rust and things started to appear?

On the front is a representation of the Argentine flag. Above it written in thin white paint it says "galtieri"

On the right of the flag it says "island" there is something on the left but I can't read it but assume it used to say Falkland

Underneath the flag it says 1982.

There is a small dent on the top right hand side and the comedian appears to have written "ding" in this!

The helmet isn't your run of the mill US made M1 style as you can see the front brim is broader. The helmet bales are missing, it had a rear seamed band originally but this is missing. A pity it had been so badly stored for years, I wish I knew the story behind this unexpected Falklands war trophy.

Nice helmet! What do you mean by rear seam band missing? Are both bails missing? A shame! Would have love to see those. Do you have images from the inside?

That's a very interesting find.

Quote by Twthmoses View Post
    Nice helmet! What do you mean by rear seam band missing? Are both bails missing? A shame! Would have love to see those. Do you have images from the inside?
    This helmet was originally fitted with a separate stainless steel or manganese band around the rim of the helmet, held at the rear of the helmet by a soldered seam. Only the seam is present. No bails to see, can take a picture of the inside but really not much to see.

Inside view

Close up of the remains of the rear seam

Really cool find. Hope you can find more out about this one.

That is likely one that was picked up long after the conflict by someone (likely a British squaddie) on the islands during the intervening years. There is still a garrison there.

Most of the "fresh stuff" picked up after the surrender and during the clean up was taken a few miles out to sea and dumped, tons of the stuff from helmets to weapons and ammo down into Davey Jones Locker!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    This helmet was originally fitted with a separate stainless steel or manganese band around the rim of the helmet, held at the rear of the helmet by a soldered seam. Only the seam is present. No bails to see, can take a picture of the inside but really not much to see.
    Ahh I see the entire rim is missing, did not look like that in the first images. A shame both bails are missing. Have you tried to put a magnet to the shell? Is it non-magnetic, slightly magnetic or fully magnetic?

This helmet is non magnetic, the artwork was done before the helmet was rusted. All I know is that it belonged to a veteran who left it in a shed and it was then found in relic condition by the dealer.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    This helmet is non magnetic, the artwork was done before the helmet was rusted. All I know is that it belonged to a veteran who left it in a shed and it was then found in relic condition by the dealer.
    At the 40th anniversary of the surrender it seems appropriate to get this one the correct way about:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast