Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown steel helmet, reminds me of the Turkish steel helmet. Any help, please?

Article about: So, I ran across this helmet yesterday at a local antique shop and it left me absolutely stumped. I have posted it several places online and I really haven't heard anything back, but others

Default Unknown steel helmet, reminds me of the Turkish steel helmet. Any help, please?

So, I ran across this helmet yesterday at a local antique shop and it left me absolutely stumped. I have posted it several places online and I really haven't heard anything back, but others suggested it looks like a Fedayeen, but it is made of steel and not fiberglass. Others have said it looks like a Turkish Stahlhelm without a brow. It has been made into a lamp, so I know that may depreciate the value, but I just really need some insight as to what in the world this thing is.

There are no markings (as far as I could see without disassembling the lamp) on the inside of the shell, no posts for a chinstrap and no vent holes in it. The only holes in the helmet itself are the 3 holes located at the sides and one at the back to secure a liner within. Maybe it is some sort of strange prototype? I have no clue, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I just wanna make sure that if it is something super uncommon I can grab it and make sure it doesn't keep down the path of becoming strange decorations or trash.

Once again, thank you so much and I hope to hear from you all soon.

Unknown steel helmet, reminds me of the Turkish steel helmet. Any help, please?Unknown steel helmet, reminds me of the Turkish steel helmet. Any help, please?Unknown steel helmet, reminds me of the Turkish steel helmet. Any help, please?Unknown steel helmet, reminds me of the Turkish steel helmet. Any help, please?Unknown steel helmet, reminds me of the Turkish steel helmet. Any help, please?

I don't know whether I'd bet actual money on it, but I do think that is maybe possibly a Bulgarian M36B, with the front cut back.

I would like to agree with that since it has a very, *very* faint ridge on the top of the helmet, but it doesn't have the extra holes for the vents or any of the other rivets. Just the 3 holes around the side and the one that was made for the lamp post in the very top. It is just super confusing and it has really rattled my brain

Interesting 🤔...I like a good mystery, lol...
    My best guess is that we're looking at a WW1 German "Coal Scuttle" Stahlhelm that has undergone extensive alteration...

Hello,

the helmet is very similar to the Spanish M26.

Greetings

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    the helmet is very similar to the Spanish M26.
    YES! I think that's a better idea, definately. The sweep of the rear is much more like that than the Bulgar or the German M16.

?

Hi CarterP935115,

it looks like a helmet shell I saw at an auction recently.
    I looked up the catalog again and attached the pictures for you:

Description: Unusually large, field-grey painted steel bell, one-piece with a long neck guard, a reinforcing comb over the ventilation opening in the crown and three fastening holes for the liner.

According to the auction house, the helmet was definitely produced after 1919 and did not date from the First World War. It was probably a prototype that didn't make it into mass production.

Unfortunately I can't tell you more about it, apart from the information I got from the auction house, because I only collect helmets from the First World War and therefore this helmet wasn't really interesting for me. The only additional information I can give you is that it was sold for 1,900 euros/1669.62 pounds/2078.13 dollars/3129.11 australian dollars + 25% auction fee.

I hope this helps you a little further.

Best regards
    Wolf

This helmet makes me think of the Italian experimental pre war helmets. One of the several helmets called "Tipo Romano".

I looked it up in Marzetti's books, which I cherish the last 40 years!

Specially the last one posted by Wolf.

Cheers,
    Emilew