Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

What are these?

Article about: I've recently bought these helmets, (ignore the gasmask canister, although I would appreciate info about it if possible) and I have no clue what they are whatsoever. The helmet resembling an

?

Default What are these?

I've recently bought these helmets, (ignore the gasmask canister, although I would appreciate info about it if possible) and I have no clue what they are whatsoever.
    The helmet resembling an M53 doesn't have the exact shape, and I can't force the chinstrap over the front.
    I looked up some brodies before it was shipped, and found it to resemble one from the 2nd world war. The top screw seems to be 'patched up' with something, making it smooth. It also has a white stripe on what I believe to be the right side.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What are these?   What are these?  

What are these?   What are these?  

What are these?   What are these?  

What are these?  

OK, that is a Dutch M53, the inkstamp you show is a Dutch acceptance stamp. Remember, the 'M53' is not a one all-all one helmet - they came from a variety of European makers, so not all are identical. I have no immediate ideas about the other, except it is NOT a Dutch post-WW2 copy of the British Mk2

?

Firstly, thanks for responding!
    Secondly, (might be a stupid question) do you think late M53 liners fit in there? (talking about the ones with the leather band)
    Thirdly, so the Brodie might be original? - I was thinking about turning it into an original/replica one anyways.

Best regards,
    Kyansp

The liner will fit, yes.

Regarding the other helmet, it depends what you mean as 'original'. You refer to it as a 'Brodie' but strictly that means only the original helmet produced during 1915, which later became the Mk1 and then Mk2 helmets. It is not an original Brodie helmet. I am not a Mk2 collector so I could be wrong, but I think it is a British Mk2, from the 1940s. The chinstrap is , obviously, not original! These are not hard to find in complete original condition so doing the work to turn it into an 'original/replica' might be more trouble than it is worth.

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    OK, that is a Dutch M53, the inkstamp you show is a Dutch acceptance stamp. Remember, the 'M53' is not a one all-all one helmet - they came from a variety of European makers, so not all are identical. I have no immediate ideas about the other, except it is NOT a Dutch post-WW2 copy of the British Mk2
    Some examples:

HOLANDÉS OTAN

"M1" which nationality ?

Dutch M.1 clones (Model 53) Post them here

United Nations Dutch M53 helmet?

m1 clone pickup (dutch m53)

Is the green example painted or galvanised hard to tell from the pictures but reminds me of some of the examples liberated from the Victory arch Iraq post Saddam although it has been played around with chinstrap, stripe and all
    Regards James