Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

World's Most Comfortable & Uncomfortable Helmet Opinions

Article about: G'day All, Figured make this one up here! What's your top & bottom three of the most comfortable helmet liner systems you have or experienced? I can only go by my 100 or so helmets! so h

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    it always seemed like I was wearing a gigantic steel pot on my head.
    That's because you were!

(As is the case with any steel helmet)
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-21-2022 at 10:52 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    That's because you were!

(As is the case with any steel helmet)

I'll have to take a picture next time, because I think it looks comically large on my head. A German size 64 fits my head perfectly, but that's not a really small head size.

The M1 has puzzled me because of the separate liner. To me, it would seem that one good artillery blast wave, and the pot would fly off, and the liner would stay.

For some reason the PASGT liner feels worse to me than the WW2 M1 liner even though they're of similar design. The most comfortable I've ever tried on is the ACH depending on the pads. Would like to try on a USMC LWH with its original sling suspension, as I heard that design is very comfortable. That being said I've only ever worn these things for 15 min at a time at most.

Quote by battle gear View Post
    these were also well known to be an "uncomfortable helmet" to wear , big clumsy , uncomfortable , heavy

sailors disliked wearing it for long periods.
    Cheers BG

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    Yugoslavian M59/85 Combat helmet ***** majorly. I bought one and tried it on.
    For me the two mins or a bit more, these are fairly comfy.

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    For me the two mins or a bit more, these are fairly comfy.
    They like to move a lot. No matter how tight I tighten the chin strap, if I look down, the helmet moves forward on my head.

In my time in the service I enjoyed wearing my M1 helmet, the suspension and liner fit perfectly. When I had to transition to the 1st generation Kevlar it was difficult to adapt to a single helmet set up. The webbing inside used to cause headaches so until the foam donut came out, most of us would pad the inside of the Kevlar with a washcloth to absorb the shock.

When I was issued a CVC helmet (Combat Vehicle Crewman) that was probable the most comfortable of all the helmets that I had to wear in the military.

Finally my Firefighter helmet was very comfortable, but that was on the civilian side of my careers.

Smitty
    Last edited by Rakkasan187; 04-22-2022 at 11:39 PM.

Hello,

the most comfortable helmet I know personally is the Bundeswehr Schuberth 828 para helmet - "Sprunggefechtshelm".

Regards

the most terrible helmet I know is the East German M 1956 with the 1976 lining.

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello,

the most comfortable helmet I know personally is the Bundeswehr Schuberth 828 para helmet - "Sprunggefechtshelm".

For comparison:
    German paratrooper helmet - Afghanistan returnees with custom camouflage

Schuberth 828 helmet

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5