Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 British Para/ RAC or post war British or Belgian Para/Tank relic helmet?

Article about: Hello Gents, I need your opinion on this relic helmet. Is this WW2 or post war, Para or Armoured Crew, British or Belgian helmet? It`s looks like helmet has been painted quite a few times. I

Default WW2 British Para/ RAC or post war British or Belgian Para/Tank relic helmet?

Hello Gents,

I need your opinion on this relic helmet. Is this WW2 or post war, Para or Armoured Crew, British or Belgian helmet? It`s looks like helmet has been painted quite a few times. I will greatly appreciate any comments.

Kind Regards
    Alex
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British Para/ RAC or post war British or Belgian Para/Tank relic helmet?   WW2 British Para/ RAC or post war British or Belgian Para/Tank relic helmet?  

WW2 British Para/ RAC or post war British or Belgian Para/Tank relic helmet?   WW2 British Para/ RAC or post war British or Belgian Para/Tank relic helmet?  

WW2 British Para/ RAC or post war British or Belgian Para/Tank relic helmet?   WW2 British Para/ RAC or post war British or Belgian Para/Tank relic helmet?  

Looks like a British para helmet shell to me ,but as for dating it ,it will be hard as these were used also post war

I would bet money it is a para shell, rather than the Armoured helmet, seeing as how there's no hole for the liner at the crown, and there are holes for the liner/chinstrap rig around the sides. As to date, or even as to whether it is British or Belgian, I have *never* seen a marked shell of either (though I'm happy to have one pointed out!) so as to date or origin, you choose, no one can prove you wrong. Mind you, a *real* expert could probably solve this by just looking at the paint.

Kradman, Greg thank you kindly for your comments, Good point regarding the paint.. Does anyone can help in this matter? Thank you.

Kind Regards
    Alex

hello alex ,what are your thoughts on the front stencil ,looks like 22 to my eye's ,also i notice the inner shell ear area's says coms ,communication's perhaps so worn with headset maybe ,it might give clue's to its use
    hope its of some help
    regards james

James, Thank you very much for your comment, Sharp-eyed! Indeed looks like 22, also COY?, and COMS, perhaps added later? I really don`t know..

Kind Regards
    Alex
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British Para/ RAC or post war British or Belgian Para/Tank relic helmet?  

Quote by AlexKG200 View Post
    James, Thank you very much for your comment, Sharp-eyed! Indeed looks like 22, also COY?, and COMS, perhaps added later? I really don`t know..

Kind Regards
    Alex
    I think I can see an 'A' before 'COY', I'd perhaps favour 'CQMS' for the rest too...

I can't see the letter clearly as a 'Q' but in the context of marking it to an individual, A Company's Company Quartermaster Sergeant wouldn't need to actually be named for his property to be identified

Conversely, communications is officially abbreviated 'comms' - though an individual might not always conform to that - but, while it's a 'function', it isn't typically a sub-section of a company... for something belonging to the sub-unit collectively, I'd expect just '{whatever} COY', perhaps 'CP' (Command Post) or similar for the HQ… but that would infer a number of people & typically helmets wouldn't be 'jointly' owned (though, since they're mentioned, headsets might).
    Last edited by brickie501; 10-13-2019 at 08:33 PM.

I’ve got a ‘56 Para lid.....coloured patch inside, overpainted names, with something and “coy” inside.....this has similarities. Always thought it’d had multiple users.......training perhaps???

Quote by brickie501 View Post
    I think I can see an 'A' before 'COY', I'd perhaps favour 'CQMS' for the rest too...

I can't see the letter clearly as a 'Q' but in the context of marking it to an individual, A Company's Company Quartermaster Sergeant wouldn't need to actually be named for his property to be identified

Conversely, communications is officially abbreviated 'comms' - though an individual might not always conform to that - but, while it's a 'function', it isn't typically a sub-section of a company... for something belonging to the sub-unit collectively, I'd expect just '{whatever} COY', perhaps 'CP' (Command Post) or similar for the HQ… but that would infer a number of people & typically helmets wouldn't be 'jointly' owned (though, since they're mentioned, headsets might).
    I agree entirely and CQMS (Which is a Staff segeant /Colour Sgt post) was my immediate thought before reading any replies.

Of course CQMS is uniquely British Army (and not Airforce or Navy) and before the modern composite helmets were introduced steel helmets were unit stores rather than permanent personal issue and would have many "owners" during their service life.

The three holes for liner fixing definately make this a para version (three point harness) the black circle in the crown is from the rubber crown pad that used to live there and just one other point,

a large hand painted (it isn't stencilled) number on the front just screams to me "P Company" or Pre-parachute Selection!

As it is with no known history I think a restorative paint job and a retrofitted liner (they are to be found) would be the way to go.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    ... before the modern composite helmets were introduced steel helmets were unit stores rather than permanent personal issue and would have many "owners" during their service life.
    Thanks Mark, I didn't appreciate that... though, as you say, CQMS still makes sense as they'd likely be distributed at Company level, yes?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    … a large hand painted (it isn't stencilled) number on the front just screams to me "P Company" or Pre-parachute Selection!
    I'm going to go slightly against Pre-parachute Selection itself, since that is run by 'Pegasus Company' (P Coy) - but perhaps a training 'pool' (for assault courses etc rather than field training exercises) for A Coy of one of the Battalions?

Although the number & the 'ownership' markings could be from entirely different phases of its life!
    Last edited by brickie501; 10-13-2019 at 11:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast