Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Yugoslavian Helmet with Markings

Article about: Hello, not too long ago I bought this Yugoslavian NE44 but it had some interesting markings on it and was really wondering what they said. If anyone could help me translate it I'd greatly ap

Default Yugoslavian Helmet with Markings

Hello, not too long ago I bought this Yugoslavian NE44 but it had some interesting markings on it and was really wondering what they said. If anyone could help me translate it I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks for reading.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Yugoslavian Helmet with Markings   Yugoslavian Helmet with Markings  

MAP
    ?

Well, I can't help with any translation but could "31, III, 99" be March 31st 1999??? That was right during the time that NATO began airstrikes in Serbia....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

The internet never ceases to amaze me, I don't speak a syllable of Serbo-Croat but with a spare few minutes, Google translate and alphabet cross reference:

I got to the front being Postman or Mailman, same as the inside, different spelling but see this clip.

The saying on the back, I cross referenced as much as I could and I believe it translate to 'God and Christ against Communists'.

I like that helmet, somewhere in there is a story

Steve.

Oh alright then that's interesting

Hi,
    I can read serbian cyrillic letters.
    On front is said "Poštar" - Mailman, which is translated correctly above. Another inscription is "sa vjerom u Krista protiv komunista" - with belief in Christ against Communists, Just slightly different than translation above.

Also as I can see on the Pictures that is M59/85 Yugoslav peoples Army helmet, later used by all armies during Break up of SFR Yugoslavia. By the date written on it, it could be from war on Kosovo. Which I find interesting beacuse Yugoslav Army (Federative Republic then, comprised only from Serbia and Montenegro) used slightly upgraded M59 helmet with newer webbing and chinstrap system. I tought they abbandoned this ones during early 90s.