Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Happy Memorial Day

Article about: A toast to our Veterans that gave all in the Service of our country. We shall stay strong. John

Default Happy Memorial Day

A toast to our Veterans that gave all in the Service of our country. We shall stay strong.
    John

Truly a day of remembrance and giving thanks for those who have sacrificed themselves for our freedom.
    ....and not just another day off to drink and party.

Thankyou to all the Veterans
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

When I bought my poppy yesterday, one of the vets was wearing a
    shirt that said "we don't know them all.......but we owe them all"

Thank you to all who gave all.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

a brief story of one fallen veteran.... today I always think of Cpl Thomas Tobey...the house I currently live in was built in 1920 and Thomas Tobey was one of the several Tobey children born in the home, for all I know his old bedroom could be my current office/memorabilia room from which I type....

Thomas moved to Seattle to work at the Boeing plant and enlisted in the air corps on March 21 1944 shortly after his 23rd birthday(3.15.21), he trained at Fort Lewis Washington and eventually ended up in Northern Italy with the 777th BS / 464th Bomber Group.

His plane was the "Big Fat Mama"(one of several)....a B-24 serial number 44-41213 and he was the nose gunner. The crew was very inexperienced and it was only the 2nd mission for the pilot and almost everyone else on the plane....on the way to bomb Roundice in the Czech Republic on December 28th 1944 they had a mid-air collision with a plane above/below them...the tail section broke off and they went into a spin and only 3 of the 10 crew members were able to parachute to safety...as Thomas was in the nose he was not able to get out due to the dive.

The three survivors also included the pilot trainer and they were captured, the pilot died in the crash, the seven were buried by the local population in Weissenstein Austria where the crash occurred.

After the war his parents had his body returned to Oregon and he now resides across the river about a mile from my house....I've tried to attach the MACR #10926 report but the file is too big, reading it really gives you a visual of what these young men went thru in their final moments on only their 2nd mission

Happy Memorial Day
    Last edited by KatManDude; 05-30-2022 at 05:05 PM.