Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hurricane Laura

Article about: I'm from Southeast Texas in the States. I was hoping for some prayers and positive thoughts for our area and others along the Gulf Coast. Hurricane Laura is bearing down on us right now. It

Default Hurricane Laura

I'm from Southeast Texas in the States. I was hoping for some prayers and positive thoughts for our area and others along the Gulf Coast. Hurricane Laura is bearing down on us right now. It should be making landfall around midnight central-standard time and (hopefully) clear out about 10 AM. She's a category 4 right now, but we're praying she'll drop back down to a 3 before she lands. Either way, we're looking at wind gusts of 120-150 mph for our area. The included image shows the current projected path of the storm. I've made a yellow dot in the area of where our house is. It might be hard to see, but it is along the coast of Texas, right near the Louisiana border, and inside the red "cone" of the storm.

Hurricane Laura

We've boarded up the house as best we could, packed up the little bit we could carry, and have taken ourselves and the three dogs up north four hours away. I brought only the sentimental family items from my collection with me, about three other albums of flat/paper items, and the firearms. That's really all that would fit. Even then, some of the bigger family stuff had to stay too.

My biggest concern is my 95 year old grandma. She is staying in the area with my uncle to ride out the storm. She has very bad dementia and there was much concern that she wouldn't have made the drive out, especially with the way evacuation traffic is. She's a tough one though...in her lifetime she's survived wartime England, was a "lifer's" military wife, raised three sons, has gone through countless hurricanes already and one fire. She most definitely has the British "stiff upper lip," even with her dementia.

Anyway, just pray for the Gulf Coast right now. Our area alone in the past 15 years has already gone through Hurricanes Rita, Ike, Harvey, and Imelda...and that's just the big-name storms.

Many thanks,
    Robyn

I wish you well Robyn and hope it turns out OK for you and your family! Good Luck!

Stay safe Robyn! It is going to be a rough night. God bless and good luck.
    John

Gallons of positive vibes heading your way, friend!!
    Stay safe.....
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Stay safe out there and Prayers going up
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

MAP
    ?

While I'm in a Hurricane "ally" they are generally only Tropical Storm or Cat 1 when they hit once or twice a year . Even at those lower levels they are bad. Can just imagine a 3 or 4.

Hopefully it moves fast and doesn't cause too much damage. Best of luck. Good to see you've moved to safety. That is the most important thing.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I wanted to thank everyone for their support! We had a very close shave with Hurricane Laura. About 30 minutes before making landfall, she wobbled 15 to 20 miles east putting our area out of the worst danger, and preventing a high storm surge of water. The west side of the eye wall quite literally skirted our town by only a few miles, keeping the highest wind gusts to less than 100 mph instead of 150 mph. She came in on land as a category 4, almost a 5, so it got stronger rather than weaker. We'll know more in a day or two, but a neighbor down our road said at a quick glance our house doesn't appear to have any major damage (so no trees on it or blown to pieces). Now to see when we'll be allowed to go back into the area and when the power might be restored.

Grandma is doing great! She remained unfazed the whole time and slept through pretty much all of it. Her house is fine, and though the electricity is out, they have a generator for some power. I am very thankful for the way it turned out of us.

My own thoughts and prayers go out to those in Louisiana that did get hit...a lot of it went into marshland (thankfully) but Lake Charles got tore up pretty bad. Hurricanes always make me feel like a jerk because you're praying that your area will be okay but you know it's going to hit someone, somewhere, and you don't want that either. Just a bad situation no matter what.

Thanks again, guys. I appreciate everything.

-Robyn

?

Thoughts and prayers going out to those folk's.

Glad to hear that you and yours faired well!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Prayers going up
    and the blessings came down
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I will be heading to Lake Charles La. and surround areas Saturday to work for the next 1 to 2 months.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast