Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My dad 54 Years later

Article about: My dad served in Vietnam 66-67 and I heard many of the good stories as a kid listening to him talk to the guys and I heard the bad ones when he would wake up yelling and screaming as he reli

Default My dad 54 Years later

My dad served in Vietnam 66-67 and I heard many of the good stories as a kid listening to him talk to the guys and I heard the bad ones when he would wake up yelling and screaming as he relived the bad times in his sleep. I would listen through the wall as he told my mother want had happened and she would comfort him through the night.
    I would ask my dad if he wanted a helmet like the one he had in Vietnam but the answer was ALWAYS no, well he changed his mind and I was able to replace his helmet with a correct year and with the help of Michael and his generosity( bug juice bottle) I was able to give my father his helmet before Church Sunday and he is proud to have it.

Thank you for your service.

Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My dad 54 Years later  
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My dad 54 Years later   My dad 54 Years later  

MAP
    ?

Awesome Marty. Great photos. Despite the years....definitely the same guy!

You mocked it up well. Even the position of the helmet band.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nicely done, Marty
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Kind of you, Marty!!
    Stig

A very thoughtful gesture Marty, and one which will have made a Vietnam veteran very proud to have a son such as you!

Cheers,
    Steve

I love to read things like this.

I suspect that without anyone realising it that helmet represents a kind of "homemade" cognitive therapy and that the ghosts are somehow less significant and troublesome these days, albeit that the memories remain (and so should they). It really guts me that old soldiers are sometimes tormented by memories to the point where they are not able to articulate as they should the gift of education to those who "weren't there" yet who benefit from the exertions of those who were.

Well done and best wishes to the "Auld yin"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Guys,
    Thank you for the kind words. It was a small jester on my small and a moment that I was not sure would ever happen. Mark, I agree it is therapy, my father always talked about a dear friend who was on his third tour and was killed two weeks before mustering out, “ Charles was put on light duty, his job was to drive a Jeep around and run errands for the captain, Damn it his Jeep hit a mine, it through me out but killed Charles.....two weeks just two more weeks.”
    We went to DC in 94 and I took dad to the Vietnam Memorial and he found Charles name on the wall... it’s therapy and a long one.

Thank you guys,
    Marty

A kind thought, on your part Marty, glad it made your Dad's day !
    Regards
    Paul

?

Excellent Job Marty and also to Michael for making it complete!!

Possibly with time he might talk more about his experience.
    Who was he attached to while in country?

Yes Please thank him for his service and offer my Welcome Home to it.
    Sad to say that Not many got the later!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 06-12-2020 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Added comment

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast