Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Remembrance Day Rant

Article about: I’m working nights to tonight and the house is empty so this is my only place to rant! I like to think of myself as fairly pragmatic and relaxed, I appreciate that everybody has different vi

Default Remembrance Day Rant

I’m working nights to tonight and the house is empty so this is my only place to rant!
    I like to think of myself as fairly pragmatic and relaxed, I appreciate that everybody has different views on things, different charities they like to support, etc, so I don’t feel offended if people don’t wear poppies. I also appreciate that we all have different lives and jobs and not everybody can commit to being silent for two minutes. It niggles me a bit if people are talking when everybody else around is silent but it’s not the end of the world. However! I attended an auction house this morning. An auction house that has a militaria auction later this week. An auction house that has, amongst other things, some very impressive WW1 framed posters on their walls. At 11:00 an announcement came over the tannoy asking for the two minute silence to be respected. It was seconds after this that some arse hole walked into the sale room with his hag of a wife. A middle aged couple, the sort with loud voices who wear Hunter wellies and Barbour coats but never go anywhere near a field and who moan about farm animals making noise and tractors in the country. The sort who drive a Range Rover or Audi 4x4 but can’t possibly reverse or drive towards a hedge. The sort of people who like the sound of their own voice and think if they talk loudly somehow those around them will be impressed with their superficial pathetic lives. Well this pair of retarded individuals couldn’t quite understand the irony of talking about bidding on some of the WW1 posters at the tops of their voices and taking photos of said items in a sale room full of medals and militaria whilst everybody else around them in the sale room stood in silence. My biggest regret was not tearing a strip off of them once the two minute silence was over, however, if they’ve got to their fifties and not realised what arse holes they are I can’t imagine me telling them would make much difference. I can only hope that they are not successful in bidding on any of the items and that on their way home they are involved in some sort of accident involving a rusty blunt wood chipper, a tanker containing TCP, some sort of fire, a hoard of wild pigs and maybe some splinters under their fingernails.
    Rant over. I feel better now.

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    I’m working nights to tonight and the house is empty so this is my only place to rant!
    I like to think of myself as fairly pragmatic and relaxed, I appreciate that everybody has different views on things, different charities they like to support, etc, so I don’t feel offended if people don’t wear poppies. I also appreciate that we all have different lives and jobs and not everybody can commit to being silent for two minutes. It niggles me a bit if people are talking when everybody else around is silent but it’s not the end of the world. However! I attended an auction house this morning. An auction house that has a militaria auction later this week. An auction house that has, amongst other things, some very impressive WW1 framed posters on their walls. At 11:00 an announcement came over the tannoy asking for the two minute silence to be respected. It was seconds after this that some arse hole walked into the sale room with his hag of a wife. A middle aged couple, the sort with loud voices who wear Hunter wellies and Barbour coats but never go anywhere near a field and who moan about farm animals making noise and tractors in the country. The sort who drive a Range Rover or Audi 4x4 but can’t possibly reverse or drive towards a hedge. The sort of people who like the sound of their own voice and think if they talk loudly somehow those around them will be impressed with their superficial pathetic lives. Well this pair of retarded individuals couldn’t quite understand the irony of talking about bidding on some of the WW1 posters at the tops of their voices and taking photos of said items in a sale room full of medals and militaria whilst everybody else around them in the sale room stood in silence. My biggest regret was not tearing a strip off of them once the two minute silence was over, however, if they’ve got to their fifties and not realised what arse holes they are I can’t imagine me telling them would make much difference. I can only hope that they are not successful in bidding on any of the items and that on their way home they are involved in some sort of accident involving a rusty blunt wood chipper, a tanker containing TCP, some sort of fire, a hoard of wild pigs and maybe some splinters under their fingernails.
    Rant over. I feel better now.
    I agree with you more than I can express! That kind of sheer ignorance "makes my p**s fizz" not to put too fine a point on it and I struggle to think of a more culturally offensive and disrespectful course of conduct.

Being an old soldier I can think of no greater insult to the memory of those (of all nations) who died because the privileged few were not able to effectively perform their high offices without the sacrifice of so many "ordinary people".

Like you I become incandescent with rage at such behaviour but take some comfort in the knowledge that it was the sacrifice of those "ordinary people" that earned the freedoms that allow these inferior cretins to behave in such a manner!

Still want to stomp their guts out though!

In the words carved into the memorial at Kohima;

"When you go home, tell them of us and say;
    For your tomorrow we gave our today"

My point exactly.

Go easy brothers, let not your hard earned peace be disturbed by those not worthy of your sacrifice

With humility

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The word you’re looking for is “ignorance”....oh and selfish........and rude......and loutish....and disrespectful......and scum

There can't be a more shocking show of disrespect than what happened at the Salford Pals cenotaph in Eccles - near Manchester, yesterday morning at exactly 11:am. The memorial is overlooked by a disused pub, and some arsehole of a squatter dressed in combat dress, took it upon himself to hang out of the bedroom window and let off a large rocket above the gathered crowd. The resulting explosion completely ruined the two minutes silence. Army veterans tried to batter down the door to get to him, and fortunately for the scumbag, the police arrived just in time to rescue him from the angry crowd. Today he was sentenced to 16 weeks in prison.

By contrast, this was the scene at the Warrington cenotaph just before the 'last Post' was sounded. I am pleased to report that the two minutes silence was honoured to such an extent that you could have heard a pin drop.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Remembrance Day RantRemembrance Day Rant

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    There can't be a more shocking show of disrespect than what happened at the Salford Pals cenotaph in Eccles - near Manchester, yesterday morning at exactly 11:am. The memorial is overlooked by a disused pub, and some arsehole of a squatter dressed in combat dress, took it upon himself to hang out of the bedroom window and let off a large rocket above the gathered crowd. The resulting explosion completely ruined the two minutes silence. Army veterans tried to batter down the door to get to him, and fortunately for the scumbag, the police arrived just in time to rescue him from the angry crowd. Today he was sentenced to 16 weeks in prison.

By contrast, this was the scene at the Warrington cenotaph just before the 'last Post' was sounded. I am pleased to report that the two minutes silence was honoured to such an extent that you could have heard a pin drop.

Cheers,
    Steve.
    As it should be!

Spare a thought for the unfortunate police officers obliged by the rules of "blind justice" to intervene when a few minutes delay might have seen the arsehole get "educated".

Then again it's a free country as these people insist, but remember who made and kept it that way?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you all for your comments and observations on this special day..

Regardless of what Nation we hail from,, the lives of those lost in past and present conflicts is something to be revered and remembered.. Sadly though many don't understand nor will they ever understand what sacrifices many of us have made to defend our Nations... The thought of having a day off from work at the luxury of those who served and defended will never be understood by some, many who will never serve themselves so they just don't get it...

I am honored to be among many Brothers and Sisters here who have served their Nations and I also thank all those who although they have not served for medical reasons or other instances, I thank you all for your support for those of us who stood watch in some very unpleasant places and circumstances to ensure your freedoms and safety...

It was my honor and privilege to serve those who were voiceless, opressed, and imprisoned in their own Nations..

May this Veterans Day be remembered for those we lost and not just a day off from work without any thoughts as to why many have this day of freedom..

My wife wears a shirt on this day that says: "My Husband and Son defend your rights to do stupid things" "Have you thanked a Veteran Today?"

Thank you Brothers and Sisters in Arms..

God Speed and Best Regards

Smitty

If you can't be quiet for two minutes to show respect to those who gave all you are a piss poor human!