Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vera Lynn Passes Away Aged 103

Article about: Hello folks. Some terrible news this morning. The family of Dame Vera Lynn have confirmed that she passed away earlier this morning, aged 103. I'm sure I don't need to explain the importance

Default Vera Lynn Passes Away Aged 103

Hello folks.

Some terrible news this morning. The family of Dame Vera Lynn have confirmed that she passed away earlier this morning, aged 103. I'm sure I don't need to explain the importance of the 'Forces Sweetheart' in lifting the nation's spirit in our darkest hour, as well as her charity contributions in the years after the war, up to the present day.

We knew this day would come at some point, as it will for all the surviving members of the Greatest Generation, but it is no less of a shock. We have lost a British icon today, the purest embodiment of the 'Blitz Spirit'.

Dame Vera Lynn: Forces' Sweetheart dies aged 103 - BBC News

Regards, B.B.

Very sad

I was hoping she would go on forever

To me she was the last link to wartime Britain from this crazy world we now live in

RIP

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Very sad news, RIP Vera.

RIP Vera, you will always be respected by so many, well done for all you did.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Incredibly sad news to wake up to this morning. She certainly was an amazing woman and will be missed. Sadly there aren’t many left of that generation and it’s frightening that very soon we will lose all the personified links to that conflict and the only physical ones will be the items we all collect.

Regards
    Harvey

Very sad but as we all know, inevitable.

A great icon of those dark years when, initially Britain stood alone like a snarling bulldog expressing the sentiment "come on then!"

She was enobled not for "Services to entertainment or sport" but for "charitable services" which is such a weak lable to apply to the service she performed in the allied cause.

To all those awarded honours for singing, dancing or kicking a ball this is maybe time to "'ave a word mate" and put things in context!

Dame Vera is gone as we all will go. We might meet again but we must never forget.

RIP

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Very sad but as we all know, inevitable.

A great icon of those dark years when, initially Britain stood alone like a snarling bulldog expressing the sentiment "come on then!"

She was enobled not for "Services to entertainment or sport" but for "charitable services" which is such a weak lable to apply to the service she performed in the allied cause.

To all those awarded honours for singing, dancing or kicking a ball this is maybe time to "'ave a word mate" and put things in context!

Dame Vera is gone as we all will go. We might meet again but we must never forget.

RIP

Mark
    "To all those awarded honours for singing, dancing or kicking a ball this is maybe time to "'ave a word mate" and put things in context!"
    Well said, i couldn't agree more.

Hello Everyone,

I agree very sad news, I found the following photograph of her taken in 1965 at the 25th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain Ball along with Hughie Green and Squadron Leader Bolesław Drobiński along with Wing Commander ‘Paddy’ Barthropp standing next to Vera Lynn.

Vera Lynn Passes Away Aged 103

Best wishes

Andrzej

We'll meet again
    Don't know where
    Don't know when
    But I know we'll meet again some sunny day...

Rest in Paece.

I remember being at RAF Duxford a while back, and attending were some veterans of WW2.

Soldiers, Airmen and Navy, all branches of the armed forces were in attendance in a Marquee.

When they played Vera Lynn's famous song, you could still see how moved they were, by this lady's voice.

They never forgot, memories must have come flooding back, and they ALL sang as loudly as possible.

Very moving, just to see these old soldiers visibly emotional, with tears in their eyes..

Dame Vera Lynn RIP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast