Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Vietnam War Sub-forum?

Article about: The longest and arguably one of the most divisive military conflict in U.S. (and Australian) history. It’s been over 50 years since the actual ‘hot’ involvement of American and Australian tr

Quote by Composite View Post
    ...and some of you LOOK like relics too ! :-)
    Cheeky sod... I'm youthful-looking when I look in one of those funny mirrors...

MAP
    ?

Yes, as Mark notes, I'm one of those "TR" diehards, and proud of it. I think we make up the majority of the forum membership interests.

But I do venture into all the other sub sections of WRF forums as my small collection is somewhat diversified.

So I think a dedicated Korean / Vietnam era subforum would be a fantastic idea.

It could eventually increase forum membership if it catches on. Yes there are other dedicated forums on the web for these conflicts but like me, many collectors do not focus on just one era/conflict/country. And having a single Forum to specifically talk about them will increase the appeal of WRF.

I will say that I would limit it to Korean/Vietnam as these have 50 years + of elapsed history, and while not as encompassing as WW1/2, they were "world" conflicts.

Just a few years back at the local shows, Vietnam era items where usually lumped into to "bin" boxes and viewed as surplus. These days, there are dedicated vendors, prices have shot up and there is a fast growing collector interest. We should get on this train before it leaves the station!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I would argue that whilst us Brits may build quite a case for The Falklands and NI surely GW1 and GW2 are closer to "Global" (39 Countries) than anything since Vietnam (less than 39).....a "Gulf Wars I & II" has gotta get in????

..in fact I'd argue that a new section (?) should be created as soon as a suitably large conflict commences...we spend too much time trying to identify stuff from 20 years ago whilst it was lingering in "bins".....people start collecting trophies as soon as the first soldier comes home (or before that if they post it)...why wait for a conflict to be too old....collectors don't. And whats the risk?...so we'd have 2-3 unused/little-used threads on the Forum for a while....well, there's PLENTY of those here already.

Just my 2 cents worth of opinion here---

I find VN era topics very fascinating as I am from that age group. However
    I have some doubts if there would be enough activity to support another sub-forum.
    I only say this because I go on WAF and check out their "Indo-China wars" and "Korean war"
    sub-forums and have found that they do not get a lot of activity. The Korean war sub-forum has
    not had a new post sense Sept 2.

Just my thought here-- don't mean to rain on anybody's parade.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Cheeky sod... I'm youthful-looking when I look in one of those funny mirrors...
    Hahaha, old soldiers never die.. they just grumble, moan, complain, dribble.........

Yet, whatever nation they serve or flag they follow these words of Rudyard Kipling are incredibly accurate;

YouTube

The "War to end wars" didn't did it?

Anyone for post 1945 history?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thats an interesting point. So, on that basis, we're saying that Militaria kinda stopped at WW2 (to youngsters / newcomers at least)?...again...what's the risk? Personally I'd prefer to avoid conflict-specific holes for pegs but IF we go down that route then a simple set of rules (conflicts involving more than say 20 countries for instance) makes things simple....

For me, it'd mean duplication.....a nice 'nam period M1 gets posted in "Helmets" AND "Vietnam" I guess?????

(sorry Watchy...your last one beat me!)

MAP
    ?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Just my 2 cents worth of opinion here---

I find VN era topics very fascinating as I am from that age group. However
    I have some doubts if there would be enough activity to support another sub-forum.
    I only say this because I go on WAF and check out their "Indo-China wars" and "Korean war"
    sub-forums and have found that they do not get a lot of activity. The Korean war sub-forum has
    not had a new post sense Sept 2.

Just my thought here-- don't mean to rain on anybody's parade.
    Well once Rene and Rich A start posting from their truckloads of containers.........I'm sure it will be very active LoL!!!!!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Well once Rene and Rich A start posting from their truckloads of containers.........I'm sure it will be very active LoL!!!!!
    I've got a couple fake patches I could post as examples of what not to collect.
    I've been burned more than once on VN era items.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Some very interesting cross talk gentlemen and it is refreshing to hear everyone's thought and opinions.. One of the forums that I belong to, The Allied Militaria Forum we have categorized specific areas, very similar to what we have here but we also have the option and ability to branch out from those specific topic areas to sub forums within that primary forum..

So for example if we were to tackle the Vietnam Forum this is a great general overall topic and under this topic, sub topics for US forces, French Forces, Australian Forces and then our adversaries, Viet-Minh, Viet Cong, NVA, ect.. By having these sub forums in the main topic title we can keep it semi organized and specific..

Of course I am just suggesting which direction we could take and I agree that other smaller world conflicts have much merit and are due recognition for participation. The Falklands are an excellent example as well as the conflict in Northern Ireland and then of course Africa and other conflicts..

I like this direction and either way whatever is decided I will support..

PS

Here is a tease for a Vietnam sub forum... An exhibit I did for the US Army last month.. (Moderators if you feel it necessary to remove the pictures from this topic and move elsewhere I fully understand)

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam War Sub-forum?   Vietnam War Sub-forum?  

Vietnam War Sub-forum?   Vietnam War Sub-forum?  

Vietnam War Sub-forum?   Vietnam War Sub-forum?  

How about a sub forum on the Anglo Zanzibar war of 1896?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast