Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Vietnam War Sub-forum?

Article about: The longest and arguably one of the most divisive military conflict in U.S. (and Australian) history. It’s been over 50 years since the actual ‘hot’ involvement of American and Australian tr

Default Vietnam War Sub-forum?

The longest and arguably one of the most divisive military conflict in U.S. (and Australian) history. It’s been over 50 years since the actual ‘hot’ involvement of American and Australian troops. Vietnam War collectibles are becoming increasingly popular with militaria collectors.

We have already had so many items posted from all sides of this conflict; they seem to be almost amalgamated with the Allied WWII sections of the forum. Surely it makes sense to add a new section for collectibles from this conflict? It would make things a lot easier for collectors to specifically differentiate in regard to research. I for one would find this section of the forum very interesting.

Regardless if you're a collector of this era; you must appreciate that items from this conflict are becoming increasingly popular and valuable. Reproductions will only increase.
    In any case, I am sure I have not contemplated the technical/administrator (or any other) considerations of this proposal; but I still thought it viable for discussion.

I think that's an interesting issue...and I think the answer lies in WHAT people collect.......if they collect by CONFLICT it's a perfect outcome...if they collect by CATEGORY (medals? helmets? insignia?) they may prefer everything together. Personally I'd love to see a Home Front category.....but these things get spread across a number of Threads.....and Lord knows what the TR brigade would do if we suggested taking away their Play Areas in favour of one huge "WW2" zone, mixing with all that horrible green stuff from other countries. But I fully understand your suggestion...and also feel "Gulf [GW1 GW2] Conflict", "Yugo / Bosnia / Serb etc", "Falkands", "Iraq" should follow.....but, being selfish, that would mean "Helmets" would be everywhere....and I'd prefer to keep them together. For what it's worth.

Needs to be done for the lowly all sorts collectors like me, but .....

?

I wouldn’t mind a Spanish sub forum on the axis countries section.

I guess the balance is there! now I shouldn't get started.

I find that I agree with both Chris and Ade here. Yes there is a risk of particular types of item (eg Helmets) being spread accross the forum rather than being located in type specific sub-forum areas but I think that can happen as the situation stands.

I agree that the Vietnam War was very significant and for some collectors is in desperate need of a dedicated depository of information, just like WWII or TR artifacts I suggest.
    Personally, I am not badly affected because I don't restrict my viewing to a particular area of the forum. My interests lie in the overarching context of military conflict and all aspects of militaria within to some degree. Therefore, I look at the whole "menu" and pick from there which threads to open and dismiss those which clearly do not provoke my interest. In that regard I think the experience could be improved by encouraging subject indicative thread titles which include key words such as "US M1 helmet" "british bayonet" etc rather than just frustrating phrases as "look what I found" or "what is this" etc.
    However, as for a VN sub-forum; as interesting as I would find this I feel it might be a little too specific or even narrow (sorry couldn't think of a better adjective) in scope. So, how about "Post 1945 conflict" or similar? I hate the expression "catch-all" but it kind of fits here because such a sub-forum could encompass all the so called wars of peace fought by; France (Indo China), Belgium (Africa), The Netherlands (East Indies), Israel/Eygypt/Iran-Iraq/Syria etc (Middle East), Soviet Union (Afghanistan), The UK (we know about those nutters right?), The US (same as UK!) and a host of others I could spend all day listing. This would naturally include Korea, Vietnam and the recent adventures in the "Sandpit".
    So, in principle a new sub-forum is probably a good idea but with wider scope than just VN together with enhanced use of keywords in thread titles to facilitate easier searching and to ameliorate the "scatter" effect that Ade spoke of.
    Like Chris, I don't know how difficult it is to create a new section but that done the onus is on the membership to make the main effort in populating it with some tasty, informative threads.
    Thanks for starting this thread Chris, I hope it turns into a productive discussion.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    I guess the balance is there! now I shouldn't get started.
    Hahaha! Yep you are right but I think it is just a matter of consolidation. I too have to accept the "allsorts" label and sometimes do get a bit frustrated by the TR diehards (other diehards are available!!) so maybe this would help all causes?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

A sub forum will be created depending how much of that topic is posted and studied where it begins to outweigh the other topics of that designated forum.
    From that point a consideration will take place.

Contact the Moderator / Admin first of the forum that which has those topic threads and please explain any necessity of importance or how and who it is related. I say this not just for the Vietnam war but speak for all possible future sub forum topics.

Ade Stevenson will grant a sub forum "Only" if the topic has become a deluge out numbering the other topics as I had posted above.
    We would all love to have sub forums for everything we study and not all can be applied just because we have an interest.

I agree the Vietnam War is a very important topic and can be a useful tool in future study for many remaining Vets today..that are present on our forum and could contribute their experiences and any related uniforms, gear, medals, weapons etc.

Contact the Mod or Admin of that forum

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    I wouldn’t mind a Spanish sub forum on the axis countries section.
    Sorry Jb4046, Spain wouldn't work on the axis side as they were technically neutral.

?

Finland is there and was technically on both sides?
    Spain bought and sold material with nazi Germany
    Spanish civil war was won by backing from Germany and Italy
    Spanish soldiers fought on the eastern front
    I would say at the very least they were leaning towards axis in terms of a forums location. That being said I don’t collect Spanish stuff, and I shouldn’t be replying right now I am in a geography lesson

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast