Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

What is Covid-19 like on the other side of the pond?

Article about: We are in full shut down mode as of today. Still going to work but not much else. We are just beginning to surge of cases and deaths. Italy and Spain are struggling. What is life like in the

Hey Ade... I've already got one of your books, and the prints that big I can read it in the dusk! Maybe you should try buying one of mine?

As for the virus here in Warrington, we babysat our 15 month old grandson for the last time last Thursday. My wife Pam took him out for a walk on her own - leaving me at home. All the staff at the local supermarket know him well, and as soon as Pam entered the store they came over to see him... keeping a respectful distance though! I'm afraid that it all got a bit too much for Pam, and she had a bit of a meltdown and burst into tears - because she knew that this would be the last time she would have any physical contact with him for the foreseeable future.

What is Covid-19 like on the other side of the pond?

Some of the other shoppers came over to her when they saw her so upset, and one of them actually thought it was over the lack of toilet rolls on sale of all things! One lady reached into her bag and gave her two rolls from the pack she had purchased from another shop, and another reached into her bag and passed over another. There are plenty of caring people out there, and very selfish one's too. We had one final get-together for an hour on Friday evening, and then that was it. On Saturday we decided to chance our luck in the local park... we reasoned that if we kept our proper distance we would be fine. But that proved to be practically impossible to do, no matter how much you distanced yourself from the person in front or behind... they just came closer.

I'm in the 'at risk' group... I am in remission from CKD 111 and my kidney's only function at around 50% - so it is only a matter of time before I receive my 'confined to barracks for three months' letter from the local Doctor. But I am fortunate that I have plenty of hobbies, and I can always find something to keep my mind occupied. I find the TV coverage rather depressing to be honest, so much conflicting information and advice... and some of the TV presenters seem quite hysterical about it all. So for the time being I have resorted to leaving the TV off and listening to music on the radio. My wife really isn't coping that well, she absolutely adores the three grandchildren - as we both do - but it is harder for her. Through all this though, you have to stay positive and keep your mind focussed. Not everyone who gets infected will die, and not everyone will get infected.

I dare say that as Ade rightly points out, the forum might fall a little flat because of a lack of purchases by members. But even that can be overcome if everyone starts visiting other parts of the forum that they wouldn't usually associate themselves with and maybe replying to threads instead of just looking. There is plenty that can be done to keep interest going... maybe revisiting much older posts and reintroducing them for the benefit of the newer member's, and maybe even start holding proper discussions on all manner of military-related topics and historical events.

Cheers,
    Steve

You nailed it!
    Keeping your distance is easy, but what do you do if anyone else doesn't...
    I never liked crowed places, so I stay in, that 'll avoid me lots of problems.
    Borders have just been closed with containers over here, must have been one of the last places, my neighbor just managed to do a quick shopping in Holland, today.
    Like you said, lots of hobby's too and other stuff to do around the house and the garden. It keep's me busy.

Sad for you and your wife regarding the grand children.

We are taking care of our older (over 80)neighbors, for quiet some time now.
    He isn't allowed to drive for medical reasons since a while. And she broke here hand on one side and here shoulder on the other side, by falling in the garden a few weeks ago. So meals, grocery's etc.. are done by my wife. And I drive them, mostly to hospitals or doctors.

cheers
    Kris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

You and your wife are good people Kris, and the world needs more like you. Take care when you are about on your deliveries.

Cheers,
    Steve

TWS
    ?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    You and your wife are good people Kris, and the world needs more like you.
    +1
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

The Wisconsin governor just issued the Safer at Home order.
    Effectively shutting down all but essential work and travel. As far as I know,
    I am classified as an essential worker so hopefully my job is safe. I'll know
    more in the next few days.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I have to go to work, I work maintenance at a wastewater plant, I am an "essential service".
    There is only one other Electrician and we have to split work days to reduce the chance that we both get sick at the same time.
    I work two days this week, and three next week.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

deleted as non gold members can see this
    Last edited by reneblacky; 03-24-2020 at 05:13 AM. Reason: as above

TWS
    ?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    The Wisconsin governor just issued the Safer at Home order.
    Effectively shutting down all but essential work and travel. As far as I know,
    I am classified as an essential worker so hopefully my job is safe. I'll know
    more in the next few days.
    Quote by rbminis View Post
    I have to go to work, I work maintenance at a wastewater plant, I am an "essential service".
    There is only one other Electrician and we have to split work days to reduce the chance that we both get sick at the same time.
    I work two days this week, and three next week.
    Ralph.
    I hope both of you guys as well as all of our other essential worker members stay safe. My wife works for the state Department of Healthcare Services so she's busy at times, but she and her department are completely working from home.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

North Carolina's Governor shut down everything except essentials,
    IE: Grocery, Liquor Stores, Car Repair, Gas stations. Most have certain hours in the mornings for seniors only, and he has advised people to stay in. BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

...earlier to day I was watching a phone-in type prog which was supposed to help clarify the Govt's "Stay at home" message....because, apparently, it's vague......

The questions all started with "can I go out to......"...but not one of them finished with "save a life", "buy food", "care disabled relative", "collect oxygen"........no Siree Bob......effectively they all said "can I go out and do normal stuff which, if I had half a brain, I KNOW the Govt doesn't want me to do"

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast