Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

1907 Artillery Metal

Article about: A friend recently acquired this piece, it the size of CEF hat badge and is sold sterling. The news paper article came from a fb group, so I thought I’d include it. Anyone ever see one befo

CBH
    ?

Default 1907 Artillery Metal

A friend recently acquired this piece, it the size of CEF hat badge and is sold sterling. The news paper article came from a fb group, so I thought I’d include it. Anyone ever see one before? Thanks for looking.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1907 Artillery Metal   1907 Artillery Metal  

1907 Artillery Metal  

CBH
    ?

And the back
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1907 Artillery Metal  

Interesting commemorative piece, no doubt to celebrate the Canadian success in the Londonderry cup. Appears to be some sort of lapel badge, is the Canadian Artillery Association a veteran organisation?

CBH
    ?

It is large for a lapel pin, I think it might be the award, but I'm not sure, when I get another chance to get photos I'll use something to size it.

I think your answer could be found with the Royal Canadian Artillery Association or the RCA Museum. There is mention of a "cup" and this badge is obviously not that. More likely privately commissioned by the Canadian Artillery Association as a memento for the gunners involved in the win. J Gaunt & Son were a well known military badge maker in London. Here's something I copied from RCAA website.

"The Royal Canadian Artillery Association (“The RCAA”, “The RCA Association” or simply, “the Association”) was formed in Ottawa in 1876 as the Dominion Artillery Association with the object of developing and distributing gunner skills and conducting competitions. In 1895, it became the Dominion of Canada Artillery Association. It was incorporated by Act of Parliament as a not-for-profit organization in 1904 with the same object. The Act of Incorporation was amended in 1949 to change its purpose to, “The promotion of the efficiency and welfare of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery and of all matters pertaining to the defence of Canada” and, to add “Royal” to its name.

It was the first of the Service Associations and was a charter member of the Conference of Defence Associations (CDA) when the latter was formed in 1932."

CBH
    ?

Thanks for the additional info, you never know what will pop up.
    It's a hard item to put a value on, rare yes but rather obscure to say the least.
    Beautifully made and heavy, Cheers.