Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1914 "Mons" Star Driver R. Freer

Article about: Hi all, Picked this one up today for a really good price with a few other things in a day off work. This is my first WW1 star medal and to make it better, despite being fairly worn, it is a

Default 1914 "Mons" Star Driver R. Freer

Hi all,

Picked this one up today for a really good price with a few other things in a day off work. This is my first WW1 star medal and to make it better, despite being fairly worn, it is a 1914 or "Mons" Star, these were only issued for service between 5th August - 22 November 1914 with 378,000 made. This only has a short length of original ribbon left.

Named to Driver R. Freer of the Army Service Corps. Regiment Number T-32804.

Sorry about the photos, the light isn't the best here and I'm at work for the next few days, I'll get some better photos once I'm back.

I hope you all enjoy this one,

Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 "Mons" Star Driver R. Freer   1914 "Mons" Star Driver R. Freer  

Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

After some quick searching on the Nation Archives before bed I've found Robert Freer's Medal Index card.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 "Mons" Star Driver R. Freer  
    Best Regards Matt

Very nice, I have my Grandfathers exact same medal . Same regiment as well maybe they knew each other, Unfortunatly Squeak & Wilfred went awol apparently years ago but i do keep an eye out at fairs. Regards Paul

a very good find, I have a few mons stars, the Old Contemptibles as they were known
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I see he was later promoted Lt with the kings Shropshire light infantry
    Regards,

Jerry

A nice find Matt, a pity the condition is not great, it hasn't kept well but clearly shows it's great age. Well rescued!

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I see he was later promoted Lt with the kings Shropshire light infantry
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I saw that too Jerry, I thought it was some jump from Driver to Lt.

Matt

Quote by Steelhead10 View Post
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I saw that too Jerry, I thought it was some jump from Driver to Lt.

Matt
    Such swift promotion through the ranks was not unusual during the Great War, and many ordinary soldiers were made 'Temporary Gentlemen' due to the horrific scale of the slaughter at the front.

cheers,
    Steve

As Steve posted, junior officers in particular had statistically short life spans in the trenches and any or's known to have a better education and/or showed themselves to be a bit smarter might get offered promotion to junior officer
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks everyone. I will continue my research on Lt. Freer and will post my findings.

Clearer daylight photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 "Mons" Star Driver R. Freer   1914 "Mons" Star Driver R. Freer  

1914 "Mons" Star Driver R. Freer  
    Last edited by Steelhead10; 02-16-2024 at 08:12 PM.
    Best Regards Matt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast