Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Armistice Message!

Article about: Hello all With Armistice Day almost upon us I thought I’d post this relevant item from my collection. This is a message form pasted into the WWI scrapbook of a William Roche, who was a membe

Default Armistice Message!

Hello all

With Armistice Day almost upon us I thought I’d post this relevant item from my collection.

Armistice Message!Armistice Message!

This is a message form pasted into the WWI scrapbook of a William Roche, who was a member of 2/5th Bn, Lancashire Fusiliers (55th (West Lancs) Division). He was attached to 164th Brigade HQ as a signaller, and was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal for his services. Here is the man himself:

Armistice Message!

Of all the messages he must have processed during the war, this was the only one he kept as a memento, to which he added in red ink "ARMISTICE MESSAGE!". The message (as far as I can get it) reads:

To: King Edwards Horse, 2/5th Bn Lancashire Fusiliers, 423rd Field Coy Royal Engineers, Field Ambulance, A Echelon, 55th Bn Machine Gun Corps, Assistant Provost Marshal, 275th Brigade Royal Field Artillery
    Sender’s No: 1310
    Day of Month: 11

Hostilities will cease 1100 today troops stand fast in position reached that hour with line of outposts established in most advanced line possible.
    2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers will occupy line PONCHAU-RENARD.
    Mounted troops halt at 1100 on most advanced line reached.
    (Commanders of columns?) concentrate about LORETT.
    165 and 166 Brigades will pass through Stockwell’s Force during the day (forming?) line J25.J3d.O18.O24 when Stockwell’s’ Force will be withdrawn under orders to be issued later.
    All military ?????? will be observed.
    Acknowledge.
    ????? all concerned.

Signed: B F ??????
    Captain
    ?????

Stockwell’s Force was a ‘battle group’ led by 164th Brigade’s commander, Brigadier-General Clifton “Buffalo Bill” Stockwell. If anyone can read the missing words I’d appreciate it

Rob
    Last edited by Battery Command Post; 11-11-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Default Re: Armistice Message!

very nice rob a brilliant message that made so many people happy thanks for sharing

tom

Nice piece of history.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for sharing..........very interesting!

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Hello all

With Armistice Day almost upon us I thought I’d post this relevant item from my collection.

Armistice Message!Armistice Message!

This is a message form pasted into the WWI scrapbook of a William Roche, who was a member of 2/5th Bn, Lancashire Fusiliers (55th (West Lancs) Division). He was attached to 164th brigade HQ as a signaller, and was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal for his services. Here is the man himself:

Armistice Message!

Of all the messages he must have processed during the war, this was the only one he kept as a memento, to which he added in red ink "ARMISTICE MESSAGE!". The message (as far as I can get it) reads:

To: 2/5th Bn, Lancashire Fusiliers, 423rd Field Coy, Royal Engineers, Field Ambulance, A Echelon, 55th Bn, Machine Gun Corps, Assistant Provost Marshal, 275th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery
    Sender’s No: 1310
    Day of Month: 11

Hostilities will cease 1100 today troops stand fast in position reached that hour with line of outposts established in most advanced line possible.
    2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers will occupy line PONCHAU-RENARD.
    Mounted troops halt at 1100 on most advanced line reached.
    (Commanders of columns?) concentrate about LORETT.
    165 and 166 Brigades will pass through Stockwell’s Force during the day (forming?) line J25.J3d.O18.O24 when Stockwell’s’ Force will be withdrawn under orders to be issued later.
    All military ?????? will be observed.
    Acknowledge.
    ????? all concerned.

Signed: B F ??????
    Captain
    ?????

Stockwell’s Force was a ‘battle group’ led by 164th Brigade’s commander, Brigadier-General Clifton “Buffalo Bill” Stockwell. If anyone can read the missing words I’d appreciate it

Rob
    Fantastic and priceless little piece of history that is! i think that most of us on this forum will agree that as we are all enthusiasts of military history and/or collectors of the militaria items of war itself-Poppy Day is every day for us and not just once a year and i bet most of us here feel the same. That Armistice note is one hell of a piece and thanks for showing it on such a poignant day as today. Best Regards, Tim.

kc1
    ?

What else is in the scrapbook, always interesting to see a snapshot of the time. Have you got his medals? Was the MSM an immediate award?

Quote by kc1 View Post
    What else is in the scrapbook, always interesting to see a snapshot of the time. Have you got his medals? Was the MSM an immediate award?
    There are all kinds of things in there, which i really should scan and copy. There are some Brigade and other orders that he kept, a few Battle reports (narratives) including one for the infamous '3rd Battle of Ypres', some aerial photos (including some oblique photos that have been annotated and were apparently issued to platoon leaders to mark specific objectives during the Passchendaele battle), many paper clippings and other bits and pieces, some signatures and a lot of original artwork sketches, all of which seem to have been done by one of his friends in Brigade HQ, George W Smith, who must have been an accomplished artist (probably why he was selected for HQ). Its quite a thick book.

No I don't have his medals, just the book. His MSM was awarded in the 1918 King's Birthday Honours List and was announced in the 55th Division's Routine Orders for 24th June 1918 (I know this because there's an original copy pasted into the book)

If you are really interested I will try to make time to start copying the items.

Rob

kc1
    ?

It would be interesting to see without taking up to much of your time. But i wonder if there is enough there for a book or whether the collection would be better placed in a museum? Having said that stuff goes into museums and then never sees the light of day again.
    I wondered whether you had his MSM because there was a type which paid out a gratuity annually for life from a pot which mean't there was a queue to get your medal and you couldn't get yours until someone else had dropped off their perch. This led to some being awarded George VI'th headed medals for an action or event that took place in WW1 and should have been a George V award. I believe the money side was dropped eventually.

This is from my great Grandad's scrapbook. My name is David Bradbury and we have searched and searched for the scrapbook for years. How did you come across it? Was it my nan Winifred? Please get in touch as the family would love it see it again. Even if you could scan it and send over to my email vaknall1@hotmail.co.uk it would mean a lot to us as it's our family history. Thanks David

?

Welcome to forum David , have you any idea how the scrapbook etc has come out onto the collectors market ?

regards

Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast