MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

ARS 17 Gas Mask

Article about: Hello folks. A few days ago, I was lucky enough to pick this one up off eBay. These are not easy to find intact, and while the facepiece has hardened, it is at least still all together. The

Default ARS 17 Gas Mask

Hello folks.

A few days ago, I was lucky enough to pick this one up off eBay. These are not easy to find intact, and while the facepiece has hardened, it is at least still all together.

The ARS 17 was introduced by the French in 1917, as a replacement for the less sophisticated M2 mask. It is similar in design to German respirators of the period, though it has a few features that are absent from German masks, most notably the addition of a hole for an exhale valve below the filter thread. As well as being supplied to the French Army, they were also sent in large numbers to the Belgians. The ARS 17 saw heavy use through the latter part of WWI, and was manufactured and used postwar as well.

In this case, both mask and canister are wartime. Postwar canisters used swivel-type fixings for the carry straps, and the instruction sheet inside the lid was printed in both French and Flemish, with a dividing line down the centre. This canister, in line with wartime specifications, uses simple welded brackets for the straps, and the instruction sheet is printed solely in French. For the mask itself, the biggest difference between wartime- and postwar-produced examples is the head harness. Postwar, the straps used cloth-covered springs, whereas this example utilises simpler elasticated canvas.

As stated previously, this example is in a condition typical for gas masks of this era. The facepiece is solidified and crumbling, and retains only the slightest flexibility. The celluloid lenses are in good shape, as are the metal components, with some light rust on the filter attachment and canister sections. The carry tin is in similar condition, with some deformation (a common problem with French gas mask canisters of this period) and some heavy rust to the inside of the lid. It opens and closes without issues, however.

I'd held off on buying a WWI rubber mask for a long time, knowing how difficult they are to preserve, and that they are seldom found in good condition. However, I'm very happy with this one. It's rough around the edges, but it will display nicely.

ARS 17 Gas MaskARS 17 Gas MaskARS 17 Gas MaskARS 17 Gas MaskARS 17 Gas MaskARS 17 Gas MaskARS 17 Gas MaskARS 17 Gas MaskARS 17 Gas MaskARS 17 Gas MaskARS 17 Gas Mask

Regards, B.B.

A very nice find, i really like the frame work on the lenses it looks very "Steam punk".

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    A very nice find, i really like the frame work on the lenses it looks very "Steam punk".
    You can see similar 'spiderweb' attachments on German masks of the period. I agree, it really gives them a distinct look.

B.B.

?

Love the mint and crisp markings to be seen on this example! Great find

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Love the mint and crisp markings to be seen on this example! Great find
    The overall condition of it took me by surprise, honestly. It's a shame the markings on the bottom of the canister are too blurred to read.

B.B.

That’s a great pickup Brodie. Haven’t seen one of these before so very interesting.

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    That’s a great pickup Brodie. Haven’t seen one of these before so very interesting.
    I hadn’t seen one before either, which is why I decided to pick it up! I’ve avoided buying WWI-era rubber masks up to this point, because if their tendency to solidify and crumble. This one won’t fit a mannequin head, but it displays well.

B.B.

?

Very Nice B.B.,
    This is also my first time seeing one of these.
    Like Paul mentioned those eye lenses are very unique and give it a great look.
    It probably restricted vision to a certain extent but looks cool!

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Agree. We see the German ones from time to time, but a this is a first for me as well
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

You got a really nice piece there! I was also thinking of buying an ARS which appears to be a wartime example (It has elasticated canvas straps). But the interior of the filter looks different. Do you know If It's a different version or a postwar version? Thanks. I will put some pictures of the mask and filter. I'm really sorry If I'm bothering you with this questions.

ARS 17 Gas MaskARS 17 Gas MaskARS 17 Gas MaskARS 17 Gas MaskARS 17 Gas MaskARS 17 Gas Mask

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast