Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Brass hilt dagger made using 1903 pattern bayonet blade

Article about: Hi Guys, this one came into work at my new place of employment. It belonged to the vendors late father. I have no illusions regarding it's originality. Clearly it was done some time ago goin

Default Brass hilt dagger made using 1903 pattern bayonet blade

Hi Guys, this one came into work at my new place of employment. It belonged to the vendors late father.

I have no illusions regarding it's originality. Clearly it was done some time ago going by the overall patina, maybe 40 odd years ago I would guess? I am just curious if anyone has seen one before and who made them?

Here is my description:

A custom made dagger with brass hilt and fitted with a British 1903 pattern bayonet blade. The double edged blade is 33cm in length and is maker marked "Mole Birmn" with Crown B3 mark to spine of blade, along with proof marks to the ricasso of B26. Fitted with a cast brass grip. This is die stamped on each side of the hilt with "8.99" along with "2 NSTF D16". 11.5cm wide crossguard with cast cypher. Date of the conversion is unknown but appears to have some age.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Brass hilt dagger made using 1903 pattern bayonet blade   Brass hilt dagger made using 1903 pattern bayonet blade  

Brass hilt dagger made using 1903 pattern bayonet blade   Brass hilt dagger made using 1903 pattern bayonet blade  

Brass hilt dagger made using 1903 pattern bayonet blade   Brass hilt dagger made using 1903 pattern bayonet blade  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Came across this by accident this afternoon. It is a British Pattern 1895 Drummer’s Sword.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Yes, the crossguard is the giveaway (VR cypher). There are a number of variations made by different European nations, typically 19th century, but all have that "I'm not a serious weapon" look.

Here's an earlier version with a longer blade. These are also called bandsmen swords, as evidently issued to band members going into action. They tended to be lightweight as drummers and buglers were often boys and really a self defence weapon only.

Brass hilt dagger made using 1903 pattern bayonet bladeBrass hilt dagger made using 1903 pattern bayonet blade

The picture below depicts the Battle of Culloden 150 years earlier than the sword in question, but note how close a drummer (far right of picture) would be to the front line, head down concentrating on the beat.

Brass hilt dagger made using 1903 pattern bayonet blade