Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

British Brigadier General Grouping!****** Estate Purchase Miniature Medals, sword, etc...

Article about: Recent estate purchase, Would absolutely love to hear your thoughts. I just recently started picking up ww1 items and came across this and knew I had to have it. Was told it belonged to a de

Quote by Luv2Collect1960 View Post
    To preserve the actual blade, I would first remove a century's worth of grime just by using a few dabs of any high-quality gun cleaner solvent and then wipe dry. Then just some silicone spray, let dry, buff, then repeat two or three times. Alternatively, use some Renaissance Wax instead of the silicone spray. The silicone or wax will just offer a barrier against the ravages of time. Just to be extra careful, perhaps consider not storing the blade inside the scabbard as you don't know what's in there, and it can trap moisture. But, that's just being extra cautious (I store most of my swords in the scabbards anyway).

As others have pointed out, it's a no-name sword that would typically be a junior officer's item. The General would have had many other swords, as many as half a dozen! Those would be premium swords, especially toward the end of his career.

The value of this sword is in the provenance and connection to the General. I don't know how you can do this, but you should concentrate on nailing down the provenance, as simply being "sold by the descendants out of their collection" is just not enough to pile on the value.

By far the most valuable item here are the miniature medals, and mostly because of the number of them, as well as the connection to a General and a Metropolitan Police chief. I bet they are worth double the auction price or more, in a retail setting. Probably (easily) $1,000 to $1,500, but again you should nail down the provenance as much as you can, as that's really what will drive value.

Overall such a nice grouping, with tons of upside potential, but weak-ish provenance, in my experience. Nail down the provenance, and you have a winner!

I completely agree, I am in the process of attempting to acquire more tangible linkage but many of the pieces were broken up as part of a larger estate but will try non the less. I like the idea about leaving out of the scabbard, Will present the blade much better and hopes to preserve it. Yeah, the provenance could for sure be more concrete, hopefully more documentation turns up soon

Maybe someone out there has one of his other 5-6 swords with his name on I can purchase!

I've got gun Hoppes so hopefully that does the trick!British Brigadier General Grouping!****** Estate Purchase Miniature Medals, sword, etc...British Brigadier General Grouping!****** Estate Purchase Miniature Medals, sword, etc...British Brigadier General Grouping!****** Estate Purchase Miniature Medals, sword, etc...British Brigadier General Grouping!****** Estate Purchase Miniature Medals, sword, etc...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Brigadier General Grouping!****** Estate Purchase Miniature Medals, sword, etc...  

?

I cant get the link to open from my work computer but if the Hoppes' is the new synthetic blend and is safe for Nickel plating I guess that would work. The regular Hoopes#9 is not what you want to use on a nickel plated items.

On a side note. I love the smell of Hoppes #9. I put a dab behind my ears before I take the girls out of the safe to take them to the range

Semper Fi
    Phil

Nice sword to have, because of it's connection to the Brig General, but it is a "average quality" sword as would be bought by a junior officer of moderate means. The shield on the ricasso has a place for the Military Outfitter shop to place their name. As such it's a commercial sword and the etching is not of the highest quality. That said it's connection to the other items purchased makes it a desirable and collectable grouping. It may be possible to research where the General's medals are located. They could be with a collector or in a museum. I would definately get the miniatures valued.

Yeah I'm already saving up for if they ever appear! Thanks for the information, That's a great idea, I know he has a well known oil painted on canvas in the British museum! Should give them a ring

AZPhil and everyone else in this posting...

I cannot begin to thank you for all of the relevant information you have acquired and shed unto me regarding this set. The dedication and knowledge you all have acquired in the specific areas of interest and mastering your craft is beyond amazing. From the relevant researched documents, to the military medal appraisal and evaluations, to the one on one first hand experience AZPhil has conducted with me regarding the Sword has truly made my first few weeks in this form a truly memorable one.
    As for the experience, AZPhil has personally guided me through how to go about uncovering the relevant information and research through various channels and I believe this personal and sincere account of military guidance and knowledge is something that needs to be capitalize and developed here to the fullest!

Finishing my MBA a few months ago has taught me quite a bit about business, but the way all of you and specifically Phil has shown me what a genuine and thoughtful insight can bolster in a younger individual like myself is extremely insightful and not something a military or history book can teach you. Unfortunately, throughout my research here I have not yet discovered a channel or area where individuals are able to meet with someone first hand about a specific area of expertise or mastery (Similarly to AZPhil and his sword knowledge) to guide newer naive members such as myself through the process of collecting and discovery. Furthermore, I cant thank you enough Phil and I hope this message is able to reach the right decision makers and shed to shed a new light onto them about how you personally have shown me a new light into what it means to be a collector, preservationist and a role model for young collectors all over.

I sincerely thank you for all of your help! -Bryan

?

Brian,
    It was my pleasure assisting you in finding the answers you were searching for. It did take sometime and I had to re register on a site I had lost my connection to when my home PC crashed. It was totally worth the effort and I'm glad to see that there are young collectors who appreciate the assistance given.
    Good luck in the future
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Also if anybody else was following this thread , I had to re register $ on the site Old Swords to see the listing of proof plugs and indeed, the proved plug on Bryans sword is for the manufacturer "Thurkle". If anybody else needs to search a proved/Proof plug let me know. I would be more than happy to help!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

CBH
    ?

I may take you up on that Phil.

Your a good man.

?

Thanks Chris!!!
    Let me know if I can help. I'll do my best!

Semper Fi
    Phil

CBH
    ?

Don't mean to highjack , but here goes.

What do you think Phil.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Brigadier General Grouping!****** Estate Purchase Miniature Medals, sword, etc...  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast