Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Mk1 Brodie Helmet named

Article about: Hi guys here I have a named WW1 British Brodie helmet. The helmet is stamped HV 204 and from I have researched the H stands for Hutton and Sons and the V for Vickers. Vickers supplied steel

Default British Mk1 Brodie Helmet named

Hi guys here I have a named WW1 British Brodie helmet. The helmet is stamped HV 204 and from I have researched the H stands for Hutton and Sons and the V for Vickers. Vickers supplied steel for helmet production between 1916 and 1917 so this helmet is over a 100 years old now. On the underside of the brim you can see the name Jack Maskell scratched into the paint. I checked the war graves commission website and there is only one name listed as Jack Maskell who served with the 5th Bn. Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry and he was killed in action on the 24th August 1916 and his name is on the Thiepval Memorial which is on the Somme in France. So probably died in the follow up attacks during the Somme Offensive. I’m not saying that this helmet is guaranteed to be this soldiers helmet as I only have his name and no service number or regimental markings but Maskell is not a very common surname. I did another search looking at war forces records and 3 names Jack Maskell appear, one in the navy 1918 and one in the marines 1920, so who knows
    Thanks for looking guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mk1 Brodie Helmet named   British Mk1 Brodie Helmet named  

British Mk1 Brodie Helmet named   British Mk1 Brodie Helmet named  

Great Tommy Helmet Ian,looks great for 100 years plus,well done Bud,these Lids are now so desirable................

Thanks Jake and it’s my second one but still love the M1s more

but still love the M1s more [/QUOTE]
    Yeh bud i kinda know that Lol.

It's highly unlikely that this helmet belonged to an August 1916 casualty. At that date the vast majority of British troops were still wearing the raw edge helmet with the first pattern liner. The folded edge helmets don't start to appear much in photos before early 1917. The National Archives Medal Index Cards show another Jack Maskell in the Royal Fusiliers who's a much better bet. Bear in mind also that the medal cards don't always show first names, and that US troops were also equipped with British helmets in large numbers, so it's impossible to say with certainty who the helmet belonged to. Still an nice helmet in good condition.