Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cap badge identification

Article about: Hi Folks, a friend of mine has asked me to help identify the cap badge on this photo of his great grandfather, its not very clear but I suspect maybe some sort of Lancer regiment ? look forw

Default Cap badge identification

Hi Folks, a friend of mine has asked me to help identify the cap badge on this photo of his great grandfather, its not very clear but I suspect maybe some sort of Lancer regiment ? look forward to any opinions, Regards ,Paul :D
    Cap badge identification

the west riding regiment or the 7th dragoon guards, both have a similar shape, but I think it matches the former more than the latter
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Jerry for the help, Regards Paul

I think West Ridings too.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I agree, my instant thought before even reading the thread was "that's the Duke of Boots! ie The Duke of Wellingtons Regiment (West Riding). Since the reorganisation of regiments in 2006 they have been part of the Yorkshire Regiment along with; The Green Howards and The Prince of Wales Own (Yorkshire Regiment).

The crest at the centre of the badge is that of The Duke of Wellington with the motto "Virtutis Fortuna Comes" - Fortune is the companion of virtue.

As Jerry said, The 7th Dragoon Guards had a very similar badge but to me in this image the scroll below the smaller coronet of DWR seems more likely than the larger coronet without scroll of 7DG. Plus the DWR lion is holding a flag and the 7DG lion is not.

Cap badge identificationCap badge identification

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Hhmmm...
    I defer to your superior knowledge on this chaps, but I’m seeing dragoons; flat scroll, broad and flat profile of the coronet, big head at the top of the long neck..

The ‘split’ chinstrap tucked behind the badge is producing some extra highlights (which may well be confusing me), but I’m not seeing the distinctive ‘U’ shaped motto scroll..
    I will probably think differently the next time I look!

I do have lousy eyesight, by the way..
    All the best,
    Bob

?

I knew it!
    I’m seeing the wavy scroll now, but what is the big blob at the top?
    Surely too tall for the West Riding?
    I should have stayed out of this!

All the best,
    Bob

Quote by Kohima View Post
    but what is the big blob at the top?
    Surely too tall for the West Riding?All the best,Bob
    Well it is right where the flag and lions head are so I think it is some kind of photographic "bloom" resulting from the "prehistoric" camera technology

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hi folks, I've told my friend what you guys have suggested & he is swotting up on both regiment's history, He said to thank everyone for their time. He said that he is heading up to see family in Manchester at the weekend & will try to seek further info, I said a pair of medals would be a good lead! Thanks again regards ,Paul

?

Given the bandolier being worn, my thought is cavalry, thus 7DG.

BobS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast