Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

casque experimental?

Article about: HELLO do you know this helmet? and is it rare?

Default casque experimental?

HELLO do you know this helmet? and is it rare?
    casque experimental?casque experimental?casque experimental?

hello.am told model 2 manufactured in 1600 copies in 1917 ... were produced by Ford Motor Company of Detroit, Michigan. The experimental helmet was field tested during World War I. The helmet was comfortable to wear and provided satisfactory ballistic results, but it was deemed too similar to the German Model 1916 helmet and was eventually discarded.

?

Quote by lassalle View Post
    hello.am told model 2 manufactured in 1600 copies in 1917 ... were produced by Ford Motor Company of Detroit, Michigan. The experimental helmet was field tested during World War I. The helmet was comfortable to wear and provided satisfactory ballistic results, but it was deemed too similar to the German Model 1916 helmet and was eventually discarded.
    Yes you are correct. It is listed in the "Steel Pots" reference book by Chris Arnold as the model 2. He indicates roughly 2000 helmets were produced in Philadelphia by Ford in 1918. I suppose it would be deemed rare in that case but desirability depends on the collector. There must be niche collectors looking for early experimental models such as this.
    Regards, Al

?

Excellent. Truly an ugly helmet in my opinion, but you have added real value to the thread with photographic documentation.
    Regards, Al

It’s strange how important looks are….or were. I appreciate that mis-identification could be dangerous but aesthetics are another thing. I understand there was pushback re the PASGT when it was originally proposed……and one bit of soldier feedback on the replacement of the Brit Mk5 was that they wanted something less stupid looking. But now virtually every army is no longer discernible by what’s on its head…..

?

Quote by Composite View Post
    It’s strange how important looks are….or were. I appreciate that mis-identification could be dangerous but aesthetics are another thing. I understand there was pushback re the PASGT when it was originally proposed……and one bit of soldier feedback on the replacement of the Brit Mk5 was that they wanted something less stupid looking. But now virtually every army is no longer discernible by what’s on its head…..
    Now we see tape being used in Ukraine to prevent misidentification. Nullifying the camo!

But I like the bit you used at the end there
    “ But now virtually every army is no longer discernible by what’s on its head…..”

That reminds me in a biological sense of convergent evolution. The idea of species from different branches of life ultimately evolving in similar environments and challenges to appear visually the same after reaching what could be considered the optimum shape.

I guess by modern testing standards and computer simulations we have probably reached the known optimum shape a soldiers helmet can visually appear with current materials and what we consider to be the greatest threats ( shrapnel)

So simply the put different species/countries had initially an awkwardly started in their new environment/war (with lots of artillery) and were refined over time to improve efficiency/survivability until reaching a point where nothing else could be changed to improve upon.

Like how wing structure on different animals groups is pretty similar, like sharks to dolphins, sonar in dolphins to echolocation in bats . Like how all modern helmets have a PASGT look to them!

casque experimental?

...what he said! ;-)