Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Daniel Bremner Lunt of American Field Service SSU 27 and AAAS in Italy

Article about: by Croix de Guerre Yes it is,,they should be screwbacks. You see a lot of AFS pins on ebay that have the English cotter pin style attachment; to my understanding these are WWII vintage. The

Default Daniel Bremner Lunt of American Field Service SSU 27 and AAAS in Italy

This is one of my favorite groups; The American Field Service/ US Army Ambulance Service in Italy grouping of Daniel Bremner Lunt of Newburyport, Massachusetts.

Born in Newburyport on March 31, 1897, "Brem" as he was called was the oldest child of Daniel and Lucy Lunt. After graduating from Phillips-Exeter Academy, Brem enrolled at Harvard in the Class of 1917. He volunteered with the American Field Service on May 5, 1917 sailing for France aboard the SS Rochambeau. He was assigned to Section 27, serving in the Champagne District. After serving for six months, he was discharged from the AFS in October 30, 1917 and returned to the US. He then enlisted in the U.S Army and was sent to Allentown, Pennsylvania where he was assigned to the United States Army Ambulance Service. Bound for France, Brem's section was diverted to serve alongside the 332nd Infantry Regiment in Italy! The United States as a token sign of support for their new Italian Allies had dispatched one regiment of US Infantry to serve in Italy. Brem remained in Italy from February 7, 1918 until returning back home to the States where he was discharged on April 26, 1919.

The group is extensive consisting of his American Field Service uniform, his tailor made US Army uniform and overcoat with beautiful "Lion of St. Mark AAS" patches, gas mask, shoes, shirts, souvenir Austrian gas mask, paper work, photos, etc.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Daniel Bremner Lunt of American Field Service SSU 27 and AAAS in Italy   Daniel Bremner Lunt of American Field Service SSU 27 and AAAS in Italy  

Daniel Bremner Lunt of American Field Service SSU 27 and AAAS in Italy  

Default Re: Daniel Bremner Lunt of American Field Service SSU 27 and AAAS in Italy

Quote by Croix de Guerre View Post
    This is one of my favorite groups; The American Field Service/ US Army Ambulance Service in Italy grouping of Daniel Bremner Lunt of Newburyport, Massachusetts.

Born in Newburyport on March 31, 1897, "Brem" as he was called was the oldest child of Daniel and Lucy Lunt. After graduating from Phillips-Exeter Academy, Brem enrolled at Harvard in the Class of 1917. He volunteered with the American Field Service on May 5, 1917 sailing for France aboard the SS Rochambeau. He was assigned to Section 27, serving in the Champagne District. After serving for six months, he was discharged from the AFS in October 30, 1917 and returned to the US. He then enlisted in the U.S Army and was sent to Allentown, Pennsylvania where he was assigned to the United States Army Ambulance Service. Bound for France, Brem's section was diverted to serve alongside the 332nd Infantry Regiment in Italy! The United States as a token sign of support for their new Italian Allies had dispatched one regiment of US Infantry to serve in Italy. Brem remained in Italy from February 7, 1918 until returning back home to the States where he was discharged on April 26, 1919.

The group is extensive consisting of his American Field Service uniform, his tailor made US Army uniform and overcoat with beautiful "Lion of St. Mark AAS" patches, gas mask, shoes, shirts, souvenir Austrian gas mask, paper work, photos, etc.
    CLose up of the shoulder patches.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Daniel Bremner Lunt of American Field Service SSU 27 and AAAS in Italy   Daniel Bremner Lunt of American Field Service SSU 27 and AAAS in Italy  

Daniel Bremner Lunt of American Field Service SSU 27 and AAAS in Italy   Daniel Bremner Lunt of American Field Service SSU 27 and AAAS in Italy  

Default Re: Daniel Bremner Lunt of American Field Service SSU 27 and AAAS in Italy

Here are some photos of some of the various items in the group.

Close ups of Brem's American Field Service diploma. Every honorably discharged AFS volunteer received one of these personalized diplomas as a memento of their service.

Daniel Bremner Lunt of American Field Service SSU 27 and AAAS in Italy   Daniel Bremner Lunt of American Field Service SSU 27 and AAAS in Italy  

Close up photos of Brem's Paris tailor made American Field Service uniform coat and trousers.

Brem's-souvenir-gas-mask. I think it's Austrian (am I right?). It is in remarkably pliable condition, just a little wrinkled and stiff from being in it's can for almost 100 years!

wow...super grouping,,,i have an bronze us ambulance drivers hat badge,,,will post pics of it,,,Robert

Quote by militarymania View Post
    wow...super grouping,,,i have an bronze us ambulance drivers hat badge,,,will post pics of it,,,Robert
    Thanks Robert,
    Here is one of mine.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Daniel Bremner Lunt of American Field Service SSU 27 and AAAS in Italy  

yep,,that looks just like mine,,,is your's a screw back,,mine is

Once again, a most impresive grouping! Thanks for sharing it with us all.

Love the patch.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by militarymania View Post
    yep,,that looks just like mine,,,is your's a screw back,,mine is
    Yes it is,,they should be screwbacks. You see a lot of AFS pins on ebay that have the English cotter pin style attachment; to my understanding these are WWII vintage. The other thing is the WWI pins have the motto, "Service Aux Armee", not "American Field Service".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast