Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

division sign on a helmet ?

Article about: Could anybody tell me what a square divided from the left corner to the upper right corner (in fact making two triangles...) left red right green AND under the square a big white horizontale

Default division sign on a helmet ?

Could anybody tell me what a square divided from the left corner to the upper right corner (in fact making two triangles...) left red right green AND under the square a big white horizontale bar, could mean on a rimless brodie WO1 helmet ??
    Sorry no pictures available.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Default Re: division sign on a helmet ?

That sounds like a British brigade patch, I can not find my book but when I do, I might be able to find which one.
    Best
    Gus

Thanks!
    Much apreciated.
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by stuka f View Post
    Could anybody tell me what a square divided from the left corner to the upper right corner (in fact making two triangles...) left red right green AND under the square a big white horizontale bar, could mean on a rimless brodie WO1 helmet ??
    Sorry no pictures available.
    |<
    I couldn't find any exact match for this device in any of the sources I have, however i did think of a possible ID for it. A very similar device was worn on helmets in the 46th (North Midland) Division, in the 137th and 138th Brigades. They both wore a coloured square with a bar either on top, left, right or below to signify the battalion. The third brigade (139th), has no recorded helmet device but it is quite likely that they did use a similar scheme and your helmet could be it. All the infantry battalions in 139th Brigade were from the Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regt), specifically 1/5th, 1/6th, 1/7th and 1/8th Territorial battalions. To further bolster this theory there is at least one known patch used by the Sherwood Foresters that is in Maroon/Green colours.

With the bar below, if my ID is right, your helmet would be a POSSIBLE 1/8th Bn, Sherwood Foresters.

Do you have any history about the helmet (for example, if it is from the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire area etc) that might add to or discredit my theory?

Anyway, thats the best I can offer right now

Rob