Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Early RAF officers arm eagles for the Khaki tunic

Article about: I got these yesterday, they were being sold as a pair of cap badges and were priced accordingly and though I did not know what they were I thought the price was good enough to buy them. It w

Default Early RAF officers arm eagles for the Khaki tunic

I got these yesterday, they were being sold as a pair of cap badges and were priced accordingly and though I did not know what they were I thought the price was good enough to buy them. It was only when I looked on a dealers site that I found out what they are and how much they sell for, described as 1918 RAF officers arm eagles from the Khaki tunic, early first pattern type with backing plates and screw fixings and worn on the early RAF khaki tunic.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early RAF officers arm eagles for the Khaki tunic  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Early RAF officers arm eagles for the Khaki tunic

Here is a pair on a tunic belonging to King George V which was shown on the BBC antiques road show, I remember seeing this episode and the tunic was found in an attic.

BBC One - Antiques Roadshow - George V?s RAF jacket
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early RAF officers arm eagles for the Khaki tunic  
    Regards,

Jerry

nice catch, they don't often turn up in pairs. I have a couple of those style uniforms too.

I envy you in having some of these tunics, I have yet to add an early tunic to my collection and one of these or an army one would be a great addition. I'll have a search to see if you have posted them as even if I have seen them I might have been looking at other items.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, here are my early, i.e. WW I RFC, RNAS and RAF uniforms and some of my caps etc. a few are packed away the flash has messed with some of the colour hues on some things too:

the first 2 are the first pattern khaki that have eagles you just bought; 3 is a first style RAF 'Russian' Blue tunic - rare rare rare, makes waffen SS look like general surplus; 4 is a mediterrainian observors jacket , detached from the Artillery; 5 Toronto/Canadian RFC capt.'s SD; 6 Italian/Salonika RFC Pilots SD; 7 RNAS pilots, former engineering branch; 8 Gordon highlanders Balloon observors SD I have the cap, trews etc. he was the equipment officer for 56 squadron also; 9 RFC maternity tunic, I have the full uniform set tucked away; 10 RFC flight helmets; 11 RNAS petty officer; 12 1st pattern RAF medical branch surgeon, very quickly retired from the order of dress; 13 1st pattern khaki SD cap for officers; 14 1912 RFC dress cap; 15 2nd pattern official RAF blue SD cap 1918/19, it has the very small crown/top like the RN style, later RAF tops were wider and flatter; 16 cap for the desert/italian RFC pilots group; 17 RNAS pilots cap and khaki field cover for wear east of the channel with khaki SD; 18 a bit later but 1924-39 RAF full dress, I have the whole uniform except for the cap plume.

phew. I have some other CEF stuff and medals I'll post separately and a bit later
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early RAF officers arm eagles for the Khaki tunic   Early RAF officers arm eagles for the Khaki tunic  

Early RAF officers arm eagles for the Khaki tunic   Early RAF officers arm eagles for the Khaki tunic  

Early RAF officers arm eagles for the Khaki tunic   Early RAF officers arm eagles for the Khaki tunic  

Stunning collection and thank you very much for showing them.

A question if I may, but do you know if the arm eagles you have are mounted with 3 fixing screws as on the set I showed or have 4 screws as I know there were two versions and one person has claimed on another forum that the 3 screw versions are not correct for the early khaki tunics, only the 4 screw types are correct. Everyone else agreed that my set are correct, but best to ask you if you have the information. I found both versions on a dealers site and he had both types listed as for the khaki tunic, so the majority opinion seems to be that mine are correct,just one of two variations that were produced.
    Regards,

Jerry

H Jerry, I wouldn't be too concerned about 'experts' who've likely not seen more than one example if any at all. These were cheap devices widely made and the important aspect was how it appeared on the outside. Here are mine along with the RNAS eagle which should typically show three posts to prevent the eagle bulging when the sleeve folds, that being said I have a set with only 2 posts with left and right facing eagles.